Sudden disaster, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CuckooCat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had this tank for over a year now and have never experienced anything like this. Yesterday, I thoroughly clean the tank, did a 30 percent water change and replaced the filter as it was desperately in need of doing so. Everything seemed to be okay even this morning as I left for work. Upon returning home I find the the water has become extremely cloudy, an immense amount of white looking algae is all over my plants and four fish and all of the shrimp have passed away, the only survivors are a few Cory cats. I’ve had a bit of algae growing recently but I would just clean it out. Any help would be appreciated I’m not sure what to do and fear for the remaining fish.
cUj0pkQ
[/IMG]

I do a water change bi-weekly, and change and clean the filter probably once a month. Just want to give my remaining fish the best chance at survival at this point

I did another 30% water change after I cleaned the dead fish and shrimp out. The remaining fish are occasionally swimming in erratically but other than that they seem to be okay for now.

I do not have the test kit at home or I would have done one immediately, I will take a sample to the local aquarium store tomorrow though. It’s okay, I just want to figure this out.

did you ever use the water clarifier that looks red? If so it clumps together a bunch of stuff in the water and will suffocate the fish then it will look like white algae and isn't good I learned from experience

Back
Top Bottom