Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
So...I've had aquariums before, but I've always just used the cheap $20 10g tanks...what kind do you guys use? And what tanks show off your fish the best? I'm thinking I want a 30g tank give or take a few gallons...thanks!

I have a 20g and a 29g and plan on purchasing a 55g here soon. Figure out what fish you want first then decide on the size tank you need.

What kind of suggestions are you looking for? Suggestions for a good size tank? Suggestions for fish? I will say that a 10g tank for $20 isn't cheap if its just a tank... Walmart has them for $12 ;)

I am a newbie and started with a 29 gallon bow front I got for a pretty good deal at Pet Co after the new year. I really like it's size and the bow front!! It is enough for more than several fish but not so big that maintenance is intimidating.

Good Luck!!

neilanh said:
Moving to the FW - Getting started section

Oops...sorry! Um...I want it to be a community. Neons, Betta, pretty standard...was wondering first what brands are good, and also how many fish is a good fit for, say, 30 gallons...I promise I'll get better at specifics and where to put posts... *blush*

Brand isn't really a big consideration unless you're wanting a custom tank, show tank, or something of that nature (high dollar stuff). Petco does a sale sometimes where their tanks are $1/gal up to a certain size. I don't have one nearby, but its a really good deal if you have one close by.

I would suggest you get the largest tank you can afford and have room for. I have a 150g and two 10g's... I spend as much, if not more time with the smaller tanks than I do with the bigger one in terms of maintenance. Bigger tanks are just easier to deal with, and give you a little more room for error when starting out (as well as opening up your stocking limitations).

It's hard to suggest fish without knowing exactly what you want. If you were to go with a 30-40g tank, you're going to have tons of options. Make sure that your tank is longer and wider rather than taller. Tall tanks provide less room for fish to swim, and limit your stocking dramatically.

How are you wanting to set up the tank? Lots of plants, driftwood, and natural looking substrate or the neon gravel and fake ornaments (I would DEFINITELY suggest the first option).

Once you figure out what size tank you're getting, and how you're going to set it up, throw out some fish ideas and we can help you narrow down your list to a good stocking plan.

mfdrookie516 said:
Brand isn't really a big consideration unless you're wanting a custom tank, show tank, or something of that nature (high dollar stuff). Petco does a sale sometimes where their tanks are $1/gal up to a certain size. I don't have one nearby, but its a really good deal if you have one close by.

I would suggest you get the largest tank you can afford and have room for. I have a 150g and two 10g's... I spend as much, if not more time with the smaller tanks than I do with the bigger one in terms of maintenance. Bigger tanks are just easier to deal with, and give you a little more room for error when starting out (as well as opening up your stocking limitations).

It's hard to suggest fish without knowing exactly what you want. If you were to go with a 30-40g tank, you're going to have tons of options. Make sure that your tank is longer and wider rather than taller. Tall tanks provide less room for fish to swim, and limit your stocking dramatically.

How are you wanting to set up the tank? Lots of plants, driftwood, and natural looking substrate or the neon gravel and fake ornaments (I would DEFINITELY suggest the first option).

Once you figure out what size tank you're getting, and how you're going to set it up, throw out some fish ideas and we can help you narrow down your list to a good stocking plan.

Awesome! Thanks! Ya I definitely want the first...much more attractive in my opinion...and thanks I will definitely be sitting down and hashing it all out...work right now, but I'll probably do it tonight! You guys are really helpful, thank you!

I'm cheap. Here's my tanks and how I got them:

Set up:
40B - $40 at the Petco $1 per gallon sale
29g - Given to me
20L - Old lizard tank I rescued from my parent's basement
20H - Given to me
5g - $50 at Petco - Bought it for my wife while we were dating

Waiting:
20H - Traded some RCS and plants
10g - Traded some RCS and plants
300g - Given to me because it was damaged and the guy couldn't move it because it's 1" thick glass.

My tanks live in the basement, so I worry more about what's in the tank versus how the tank looks. Some of my tanks have a few scratches, but they really don't detract too much from the view.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd go with either a 40B or a 75g. Those tanks are big enough to support a variety of fish and the larger footprint of those tanks versus a 55g makes a difference. The extra width really helps add some visual depth to your landscape.

BigJim said:
I'm cheap. Here's my tanks and how I got them:

Set up:
40B - $40 at the Petco $1 per gallon sale
29g - Given to me
20L - Old lizard tank I rescued from my parent's basement
20H - Given to me
5g - $50 at Petco - Bought it for my wife while we were dating

Waiting:
20H - Traded some RCS and plants
10g - Traded some RCS and plants
300g - Given to me because it was damaged and the guy couldn't move it because it's 1" thick glass.

My tanks live in the basement, so I worry more about what's in the tank versus how the tank looks. Some of my tanks have a few scratches, but they really don't detract too much from the view.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd go with either a 40B or a 75g. Those tanks are big enough to support a variety of fish and the larger footprint of those tanks versus a 55g makes a difference. The extra width really helps add some visual depth to your landscape.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful. I hope you're enjoying all your tanks :)

I think 55 gallons is an awesome size for a starter tank. Large enough that the water can't get too bad too quickly and that you can keep some nice size fish or lots of smaller ones. Prices usually aren't too bad, either.

Thanks guys! Valuable advice...I'm glad everyone here is so nice! It's so encouraging!!

Tim Wheatley said:
I think 55 gallons is an awesome size for a starter tank. Large enough that the water can't get too bad too quickly and that you can keep some nice size fish or lots of smaller ones. Prices usually aren't too bad, either.

Any idea where to find these prices that aren't too bad? :)

Petco prices are probably best. If you follow them on facebook you'll see them post offers occasionally. They sometimes sell for $1 per gallon. Either way, they seem cheaper than petsmart most of the time.

I'm someone who will probably never buy a second hand tank... You could try that, or you could do what I do, buy a new tank and a second hand hood and stand.

Tim Wheatley said:
Petco prices are probably best. If you follow them on facebook you'll see them post offers occasionally. They sometimes sell for $1 per gallon. Either way, they seem cheaper than petsmart most of the time.

I'm someone who will probably never buy a second hand tank... You could try that, or you could do what I do, buy a new tank and a second hand hood and stand.

Cool, thanks! I'll keep an eye

if your looking for something I thought this was kool at petsmart and the stand is included
Marineland 27gallon Cube Complete Aquarium Ensemble - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

pPETS-8616584t400.jpg

b%3E:theForm.showEnhanced%28%274449731%27%29;

Went into my local Petco today and they didn't have anything. Petsmart looked better today! I guess you might need to shop around.

You could try craigslist or ebay. Sometimes tanks go free on Craigslist.

If you do buy second hand, fill it with water somewhere outside (right now that might be difficult as it will freeze) and leave it a day or so to ensure it is water tight.

Back
Top Bottom