Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got cuttlebone today too. I put in 1/2 of a piece to my filter, about 0.3oz or so. It should be a subtle and slow rise in pH, right? There hasn't been any pH change since I put it in about 6 hours ago. Ph still only 6.6 or so

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got cuttlebone today too. I put in 1/2 of a piece to my filter, about 0.3oz or so. It should be a subtle and slow rise in pH, right? There hasn't been any pH change since I put it in about 6 hours ago. Ph still only 6.6 or so

Back from holidays and got some shells and cuttlefish bone so planning to test this myself and record results. After a nap...

There isn't anything you can do for the neon. Some just don't acclimate well and die.

Taking a trip back to petsmart and petco - I'm taking back all the buhli loaches because a kuhli loach died, and the rest are getting really beat up from getting into the heater, and im taking back all the neons. One died yesterday, another few this morning have bloody and torn fins, so I'm going to take them all back today. 10 neons and 6 kuhlis.. Oh well, better than letting them all die in my tank.
When I get more fish, I'm going to get some bigger ones because the neons kept getting sucked against the filter intakes.

Neons are not very hardy, especially some of the local stock I've seen. Cardinal Tetras are a bit bigger than neons (not much) but seem to be a little hardier, IMO.

That's unfortunate about the kuhlii's. They are one of my favorites. Best of luck in the future.

FYI - A healthy fish won't get stuck to the intake. Weak/sick fish will though.

Neons are not very hardy, especially some of the local stock I've seen. Cardinal Tetras are a bit bigger than neons (not much) but seem to be a little hardier, IMO.

That's unfortunate about the kuhlii's. They are one of my favorites. Best of luck in the future.

FYI - A healthy fish won't get stuck to the intake. Weak/sick fish will though.

Ok thanks for letting me know. The kuhlis were getting stuck on the intake to, and they are all beat up. I'll have to think of what to get now.

Got the neons taken back, they said "Ok, I owe you $21", but the 10 fish were only $1 apiece. So I told him that then I got about $10 back. :) I couldn't catch any of the kuhlis to take them back, so I just took back the 2 dead ones. When I got home there was another dead :( They are just getting so beat up. Also, I finally got my manzanita driftwood today. I put it in the tank, It floats but I have the stem wedged between the filter and the glass so it stays under. I'll leave it like that until it sinks. It looks really cool. No pH change whatsoever since adding the cuttlebone, should I add more? Should I just leave it and wait longer? My pH has been a solid 6.6 for a few weeks.

Just did a few tests. Nitrate is 10-20, ph 6.6, and the ammonia test is clear. Should I retest or does this mean there's 0?

Sounds like 0 to me - do mean matching the 0 colour?

Could check nitrite just in case.

I'm not noticing much difference with the cuttlebone either but my ph is 7.3. Will test tonight. I tried vinegar on it and got a reaction so it should work :)

Sounds like 0 to me - do mean matching the 0 colour?

Could check nitrite just in case.

I'm not noticing much difference with the cuttlebone either but my ph is 7.3. Will test tonight. I tried vinegar on it and got a reaction so it should work :)

Well, the 0 is supposed to be yellow, but in this case it's clear. Here's a picture of the cuttle bone I got from petco.. nitrite is 0.

Attachments

• 1388725085682.jpg
    1388725085682.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 51
Maybe its gone negative ??? Never had that that I must confess.

I weighed 21 grams in of cuttle bone - looks the same as yours. I haven't broken it up much - will have to do that next.

Maybe its gone negative ??? Never had that that I must confess.

I weighed 21 grams in of cuttle bone - looks the same as yours. I haven't broken it up much - will have to do that next.

I had just put half a piece in there.

I had just put half a piece in there.

I think that would be about the same size. I crushed up the cuttlebone last night, also dropped in sea shells, did a large 50% water change and this morning kh was 3 instead of 2. Lol I think we only collected about 6 cuttlebone. I'll test it again tonight.

I think that would be about the same size. I crushed up the cuttlebone last night, also dropped in sea shells, did a large 50% water change and this morning kh was 3 instead of 2. Lol I think we only collected about 6 cuttlebone. I'll test it again tonight.

Hmm

Cheated and added a ph buffer which I know raises kh and it says it is safe for plants. Kh at 4 - didn't add a lot. I'll see if it can stay there at the end of the week.

pH this morning is 6.8@

Need some help. My top glass broke when I first got the tank, and I got a new piece.only $7 and is perfect. Only problem is the bracket where the front and back pieces of glass are on a hinge or something similar. My dad got some silicone for me to use to put the new piece of glass in the plastic bracket. I was just reading this tube of silicon and it says not safe for use in aquariums.. can I use this on the lid? I can't return it, but I can try to get the right stuff later. It is "ge premium eaterproof silicone. Kitchen/bath/plumbing. Warning uncured product"

Need some help. My top glass broke when I first got the tank, and I got a new piece.only $7 and is perfect. Only problem is the bracket where the front and back pieces of glass are on a hinge or something similar. My dad got some silicone for me to use to put the new piece of glass in the plastic bracket. I was just reading this tube of silicon and it says not safe for use in aquariums.. can I use this on the lid? I can't return it, but I can try to get the right stuff later. It is "ge premium eaterproof silicone. Kitchen/bath/plumbing. Warning uncured product"

2edu3a6e.jpg

u9yzaseq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom