Sump Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am installing a sump and RO/DI water system next month. What are the best items to purchase and which ones have worked the best for you? I'm curious about pumps, RO/DI water systems, and sumps. Much obliged!

As far as pumps I use a Mag drive and have never had any problems with it. RO/DI Im using a Kent Maxxima but as long as the system can produce RO/DI I dont think there is much of a difference in products except for price and how many GPD it can produce. and as far as a sump (I know i'll be criticized for this one) but I use an aquaclear 150 which has the bio balls taken out and live rock rubble added. Many will tell you to save money you can make a DIY Sump from a 20 gallon tank instead of buying a $200 wet/dry which I pretty much turned into a sump and I would have to agree with all of them. :wink:

Check on ebay for a decent RO/DI unit. I got mine from filterdirect or filtersdirect....can't remember. Everything for about a $100 bucks. Best price I've seen online for an RO/DI unit.

Hooking up the ro/di to an auto topoff is helpfull. If you have the room behind the tank. I havn't worked on one yet, but not having to top up every 2 days would save some maintenance.
For the sump go as big as you can fit. Taller also helps if you want to grow macro.

send sumphead a PM. He builds custom sumps and does some really nice work! For an RO/DI unit it is hard to beat an AquaFX unit. Great product with great manufacturer support!

If you want a submersible pump buy a mag drive. If you want an external the Gen-X line of pumps is very affordable and offers great performance!

Back
Top Bottom