Sump Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You already have 175 pounds of rock in your display. You don't need the ceramic rings, or any surface area besides that.
I would cycle the 25 pounds of rock in a separate container though, just in case.
No, you don't need to separate the algae from the rock in the sump.

Well Mr X I have a friend designing a two tank sump for me with (2) ten gallon tanks one dedicated to the Protein skimmer and the other the refugium. Reason for this is the way my cabinet is designed it has a divider in the middle which prohibits anything bigger. I added a 25lb live rock to my 55g today. Do I have to leave the shrimp in there for cycling or will the Live rock take care of that?

Michealw1- it would depend on how much die off is on the rock. If there is enough die off on the rock, you won't need the shrimp, if not, you want the extra flesh decomposing to increase the ammonia level.

NuB- up to you what light you use. A clip on shop light will work fine though.

If you are going to be putting algae in your refugium, you have to have light over it. It's a must or the algae will die.

Sounds good. I just finished cutting my stand divider enough so I can fit my sump. Now off to get cabinet doors made.

Finally got my sump to fit under dt. Also have the 1st coat of paint on new cabinet doors. I'll finish plumbing and fire up sump tomorrow. I'll also throw on 2nd coat of paint, and wax coat whole stand and hood... That's if my 4 kids let me. Haha. Nite!

image-27065716.jpg

Attachments

• image-298992681.jpg
    image-298992681.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 73
Also, tonite I was cleaning my 1 of my overflow boxes. I added water to ye black part and it has a very small leak on a corner. Is this a problem? Do I need to seal this hole? I would think so since its submerged... But what do I know!

image-641213062.jpg

Also, tonite I was cleaning my 1 of my overflow boxes. I added water to ye black part and it has a very small leak on a corner. Is this a problem? Do I need to seal this hole? I would think so since its submerged... But what do I know!

Your fine! You can fix it but if its tiny I see no reason because its inside the tank

I'm now in the market or new overflows. They're .5 inches too big to fit behind my tank. Ugh. If its not 1 thing it's another.

Back
Top Bottom