Super High Ammonia (4ppm) In Tap Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katfish25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

My tap water is extremely high in ammonia, it's 4ppm. I use prime to treat it but it is not reducing the level at all. My tank readings are still at 4ppm after 6 weeks. The PH is also high at 8 both in the tank & from the tap.

I have two 5.5 gallon tanks with heaters set at 80 degrees & corner filters. I am planning on getting bettas for the tanks. The tanks have been running for 6 weeks & I don't thing they have even begun to cycle yet.

I guess my questions are:

1. Should I add more Prime?
2. Should I do a partial water change with spring water (or some other bottled water)? I also have access to well water.
3. Should I dump & restart this process & if I do what approach should I take.
4. Is a product like ammo-lock something that would help?

I have spent a good penny on getting these tanks set up etc & I'm getting frustrated because every little thing that can go wrong is!

Any & all suggestions are welcome.

Many many thanks to you all!

I guess my questions are:

1. Should I add more Prime?

2. Should I do a partial water change with spring water (or some other bottled water)? I also have access to well water.

3. Should I dump & restart this process & if I do what approach should I take.

4. Is a product like ammo-lock something that would help?

!

Happy to be corrected in this by a more experienced member, but I would approach this way:
1. No - adding more chemicals not ideal
2. Absolutely, use well water/rain water/spring water in a PwC - then retest or better still...
3. Restart with the well water.

That is really high ammonia in you tap water! Avoid using your tap water at all.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You should consider not drinking any tap water as ammonia is toxic to people as well. If you can get access to cleaner water I think it would be beneficial to everyone at your home.

Back
Top Bottom