Survey for "Updating the WPG rule (theory)"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, caught that near the end. Also entered erroneous samples for gfink on high light (did not clear CF from previous entry) and Anonymous on Low-moderate light... please clear :) I think I got all of it.

Volume: 56 Gallons
Dimensions: 30L X 18W X 24H
Light: 2 X 65W CF (6,700k/10,000k - 420nm/460nm)
Level: High

Entered, Thanks.

If anyone else would like to contribute, please click Here

and fill out the form under the link Add your Tanks setup, Just click Here at the bottom of that page. Thanks.

Thanks, didn't really do any formatting, just basic output. no sense getting excessively ""pretty", besides I prefer functional. anything anyone can think of that it would be nice to see?

I posted my 55 and 75 on the survey and it showed me I had med-high light.

Have you guys figured out how accurate this is? I'm still reading the 1st thread that directs you to this one so I might find the answer on my own.

The reason I'm asking is my 75 is medium planted and dosed with macro and micros and no co2 of any kind. I have a furry type algae growing on my plants, had it on my ornament but its since died off.

The 75 only has a few amazons and I only dose micros. The only algae on it is gsa on the glass and a few leaves.Which I think is either low phosphates or lack of co2.

Since the survey shows the 55 as more wpg then the 75 does shouldn't there be more algae in the 55?

Also is this amount of light forcing me into CO2 injection?

Both of your tanks are right on the edge of low-moderate light. Co2 would definately be a good thing..

gsa AFAIK is related to low/no phosphates.

furry type algae (hair or beard algae) is typically associated with Co2/light imbalance.. there are others here that know more on the direct cause of this algae.. I've had it and upgrading to presurized Co2 w/ controller killed it all off..

sherry,

I figure you're including the 40w actinic bulb for its partial usable output explained by Ozz and Travis, so for the last calc I'm calling it 10w CF output (25%) per this post. That last calc is of course more of an estimate than the rest at this point. HTH

Code:
sherry's 35gal
          Eq T12 wpg  Lumens   Lumens/sq in   
96watt cf      3.7    7622.4   19.06
136watt cf     5.24  10798.4   27
" + actinic    5.62  11592.4   28.98

Actually travis convinced me to use actinic for the color enhancement.. but I'm glad that it gives a little light... I can always up my total wpg by switching it to daylight.

the difference with the current fixture from the coralife 28 is huge. I am getting pearling!!!!!!

I've had to reduce my po4 dosing.. it seemed to hover near 3 when I used ei ... but everythign except mac is growing great.. mac better but not good.

I'm about to do some replanting when a bunch of Travis plants come.. and I'm sending you nana as soon as I mess around with the tank!

so how do you like your high light 8 with the 6.8 wpg equivilant?

I like and prefer high light, but have limited the high light liting period to limit growth rate. (I'm past the grow out stage in that tank.) Important to note that the 6.8 T12 wpg equiv is not nearly as important as the lumens/sq in value in most tanks, but I still like equiv T12 wpg because its fun to compare modern tanks to older tanks discussed in the krib archive and such :)

I figured it was time to refresh this thread and have members who have not participated (or for that matter were unaware of it's existence) to have a shot at it. Please go to page 1 for details.

volume: 55 g
dimensions: 48x13x21
light: 5x65 watts CF (1200K)
Level: very high

Results
Eq T12 wpg Lumens Lumens/sq in
6.372588362 20644 20.48015873

Stats
Volume: 125G
Dimensions: 72"L x 22"H x 18"D
Light: 2x250w Metal Halide 10000K XDE
4x39w T-5 HO 6000K Giesemann Midday

Results
Equivalent T-12 wpg: 7.354241087
Lumens: 54145.6
Lumens/Square Inch: 34.18282828

Currently running the MH lights for six hours during middle of light cycle and the T-5 HO lights for the full 12 hour cycle. Some issues with algae on glass, but I've always had them with high light in this tank. Plants begin pearling within 15 minutes of MH lights firing. Coloration on growth tips goes well beyond anything I've achieved with CF lighting. I am extremely happy with this set up so far. The point-source "shimmer" effect from the metal halides is incredible. The Giesemann T-5 HO 6000K Midday bulbs possess, without a doubt, the finest color rendition I have ever seen. My fish and plants have never looked more brilliant to me (but hey, I'm colorblind, so who's counting :p ).

volume: 110 g
dimensions: 48x18x29 (substrate depth about 3-4 inches)
light: 6x55 watts CF (2x5500K; 2x6700k; 2x7800k) All CF.
Level: high

Tank 1:
70 gal (not including sump), 48Lx16Wx20H
4 x 32W T8 (6700K Daylight)
Level - low to moderate
T12 Eq - 2.8 WPG, Lum/in2 - 15

<Previous light: 2x40W Daylight T12, level: low to inadaquate
T12 Eq - 1.1 WPG, Lum/in2 - 6>

Tank 2:
5-6 gal bow, 16Lx6-8Wx12H
13W CF
Level - low
T12 Eq - 3.2 WPG, Lum/in2 - 9.2

Tank 3: (currently empty)
10 gal, 20Lx10Wx12H
33W T12 (plant grow light)
Level - low to moderate
T12 Eq - 3.3 WPG, Lum/in2 - 9.7

Tank volume
Tank dimensions LxDxH
Watts (please break down by lighting type - T12, T8, CF, spiral screw-in CF, etc)
Lighting level (low-very high light)
Notes

10 Gallon
20x10x12
2 tanks side by side with a 48 inch t12 flourecent shop fixture over both of them total 80 watts
Medium (calculated at ~3 w/g)
I seem to be able to grow anything but ground covers and the most demanding stem plants. What I can't seem to grow includes foxtail, cabomba, and almost all of the fine leaf plants except for anachris/elodea. Algae gets really bad if I don't dose properly, BBA and hair algae especially. The use of Excel was perfect for getting rid of algae and increasing plant mass but not necessarily growth rates, if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom