survivable ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
im in the process of cycling my tank still, last time i checked (yesterday) the ammonia levels were 2.0

a lfs is having a sale that ends today, peppermint shrimp for $3 (normally $9) and ive always been interested in getting some. problems is, my tank still cycling

im asking, what levels of ammonia are bearable, while i understand 0 is ideal

if the ammonia is too high, (and i know this may sound a bit extreme), i have an empty 1gal and 10 gal tanks, that i could keep the shrimp in with store water (i'd ask for a lot of water) for a week or two

please understand that im very much into animal rights, and would not just throw shrimp into a partially cycled tank

EDIT: see my launching thread for more details about the tank
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89876

Ammonia is very toxic, especially for inverts. Can you buy them now and explain your situation to the LFS and have them keep it for you?
If you put the shrimp in the sotr's water, it will not be any better, since the nitrifying bacteria mainly resides on the substrate and LR.

You could even ask to pay for them now and they order them for you when your tank is ready.
They may not want to hold them for you and this could be an alternative.

There is no "safe" NH3 level. Inverts are especially sanative to any detectable level. Roka offers a good suggestion about the LFS. I would rather spend $9 on a peppermint after my tank has cycled to give it a chance on surviving as opposed to spending $3 on one that is sure to die.

Back
Top Bottom