Switch from CO2 to Excel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently my co2 system has been really annoying. It seems pretty determined to go to war with me. Sometimes it blasts too much co2 into the tank. One time it killed two out of the three fish I had by emptying a FULL cylinder of co2 into the tank in an hour. Then other times it just doesn't go on. I'll open all the valves all the way, open the cylinder as much as I can, but it just decides not go to on.

I only have low light plants such as dwarf anubias, java fern, crypts, and amazon swords. Would it be okay if I stopped using co2 and switched to Seachem flourish excel? I hear people use it instead of co2 sometimes, and I'm not ready to have my co2 system wipe out my stock again. What do you think?

I run a high light, heavily planted 220g tank with only using glutaraldehyde daily, which is basically the same as using Excel or API CO2 booster. IMO for the plants you have using Excel is fine.

I will because a lot of people have had success with it and co2 has already wiped out my stock once, and my regulator is completely uncontrollable so until I have money for a new one.

Betta,

I have also been using Excel lately and my mostly low-light plants are generally thriving in it. I had used CO2 in the past, but sometimes had similar experiences where the system would go haywire and my fish would literally "crash" to the bottom of the tank due to too much CO2.

You can get a 500 ml bottle of Excel on Amazon for about $8 and in my 55 gallon that size bottle will usually last about a month. In my experience, they mark it up quite a bit (if they even carry it) at your local fish stores.

Cheers,
Andy (y)

You can get a 500 ml bottle of Excel on Amazon for about $8 and in my 55 gallon that size bottle will usually last about a month. In my experience, they mark it up quite a bit (if they even carry it) at your local fish stores. Andy (y)

I use this product Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. It is the equivelant of Excel. Glutaraldehyde is roughly 2.6x stronger than Excel so I mix 1 gallon of Glut to 1-1/2 gallon of RO water to get 2-1/2 gallon of Glut that is the approx strength of Excel. A gallon with shipping is only $28 so you can't beat the price. Have been using it for over a year. If you do use it be darn sure to throw the little "activator" bottle that comes with it away.

What regulator is this?

I use a Milwaukee regulator with a solenoid, adjustment valve, needle valve, and bubble counter all on the regulator too. When I go to the website to review it I'm giving it one star. The needle valve doesn't work at all and the adjustment valve does a terrible job as well. And it ALWAYS goes haywire!

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I'll definitely switch to excel for now.

Excel has it's uses but honestly pressurized co2 is worlds better. That's for anyone comparing between the two. If it were as easy as daily dosing a liquid substitute for comparable results then I think most people would opt for the much cheaper alternative.

Wow sorry to hear that... I've been hearing that about the needle valve on the Milwaukee's a lot lately.. Is your regulator less than 2 years old? Maybe you can get it replaced under warranty? Milwaukee Instruments Warranty Policy

I still think that co2 is great at growing plants and keeping algae at bay. As one AA member put it, "CO2 = the holy grail imo"... and I believe it. I'm also planning on buying an Aquatek regulator for an up-coming project...I think I spoiled myself because once I've gone co2, its hard to go back --especially comparing the difference.. it's like night and day! I went from low tech tanks ONLY to high tech (and something in the middle), and now I'm sort of addicted...D'oh...darn money pit!!! However, for the type of plants you have... the Excel or equivalent should be fine.

I don't have the money for a new regulator. I'll switch to excel for now and see if I can get a new, different regulator someday soon. But the only way I can even use co2 is if I let it use one cylinder every day.

I use pressurized Co2 in my 26 gal, I had some trouble in the beginning. I lost one of my German Blues. I talked with seachem(admin) he recommended getting a drop checker. I bought one and have had no trouble at all since. What type of set up do you have? How many Bubbles per sec are you running it?

My set up is:

5 gal Co2 canister
Aquatek regulator
External Bubble counter
In-line check valve(must have! if not needle valve could be damaged)
and Glass Diffuser

I have a bubble counter and drop checker as well. I'll look into the aquatek regulator and try to save up. I tried to run it on 1-2 bubbles per second but it usually insisted on 10-20 bubbles per second -_-.

Some people that have had trouble with the ma-957 just install an in line needle valve from fabco (NV-55) and it fixed it right up. The other part about it emptying out in a day sounds like an EOTD (end of tank dump) which is rare but possible on a single stage regulator that is nearing empty.

Some people that have had trouble with the ma-957 just install an in line needle valve from fabco (NV-55) and it fixed it right up. The other part about it emptying out in a day sounds like an EOTD (end of tank dump) which is rare but possible on a single stage regulator that is nearing empty.

But this happened two days after I got the cylinder refilled, and they usually last a good month or so.

I'm pretty sure it isn't leaking. All the co2 goes into the tank. I'll see about contacting Milkwaukee, but I'm 99% certain they'll just tell me it's all my fault.

Back
Top Bottom