T5 light fixtures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T Fades

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have an 80 fw community tank. Lighting it are 2 Corallife T5 fixtures. Each fixture has 2 28w bulbs (one full spectrum, and one 6700k flora spectrum).

So, the total watts is 112w (56w of full spectrum, and 56w of 6700k spectrum).

My question is, in trying to adhere to the 1.5/2 wpg rule for planted tanks, should I only consider the 6700k bulbs for this equation (only 56w), or the total light output of 112w?

Thanks.
T Fades

I think you also need to consider the full spectrum here, so 112W in your research. Also, since it's T5, you get better penetration than T12s, which is where the WPG "rule" began.

Am I understanding you right, that this is an 80gallon tank? or is it an 80litre tank?

it is a standard 80g, so I think the depth is around 24".

I believe that the effective depth of T-5's are around ~20" w/54watt tubes. I don't think 28w's out is enough power to get down that deep. So figure on that when you place your inverts.

what kind of plants are you trying to grow. should be fine with the low light plants such as anubias java ferns crypts.

I plan on low light plants such as

Amazon Swords
Anubias
Vals
a little Java Fern
maybe dwarf sag (not sure about this one)

i am a big fan of just trying. i have ran shop lights over my 120 which is 24 inch and been able to grow plants. if you need to find those plants i have them all just pm me.

I believe that the effective depth of T-5's are around ~20" w/54watt tubes. I don't think 28w's out is enough power to get down that deep. So figure on that when you place your inverts.

I think he is doing a FW planted, not reef, so inverts/corals not a concern here! ;)

Seriously, with 114W of T5's over an 80 gal, you are looking at medium light setup, so you can prob do more than just the low light plants you listed.

Yea, just a fw community, not reef.

Hey Jsoong, I think you may be right. I had this setup going over the past 2 years with dwarf sag as a foregroung plant. It did really well, and as I understand the dwarf sag is somewhat of a medium light plant, I must have been giving it enough wattage for it to grow.

Thanks all.
T Fades

Back
Top Bottom