Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is on the liverock should be enough to kick the cycle into gear..I wouldn't add frozen shrimp..it tends to cause more problems than it helps. Pre-curing the rock in the buckets may help your cycle..make it shorter.

Plan on at least three weeks to make sure...I was told by a local "expert" who has been in this for years to basically ignore the thing for 6 weeks before even starting to test...I am not that patient however :) I am three weeks into my own build and am frustrated at low level numbers that don't seem to want to go away to undetectable...Nitrates, however, are happily cooperating and spiking quite nicely (sarcasm there :) ) causing the need for large water changes but ammonia and nitrites are staying steady at .25.

Isn't it a good feeling to see nice clear water? :)

Oh yeah! It's amazing seeing it clear up like that in minutes!
I have a history with cloudy water: my FW planted was disgustingly cloudy for over a month and I couldn't do a thing. Then I gave up on it, just decided to let it do whatever it felt like doing (as long as the parameters were good for my fish) and it became crystal clear and stays that way! :)

pH is acting weird. :(
It was 8.2 yesterday when I filled up the tank and now it's 7.8.
HELP, please???

What media are you running in the filter? Otherwise, did you add any buffering materials?

I have LR rubble with poly-filter in the middle, polishing pad and the sponge that was in the cube. Didn't add any chemicals at all, not even bacterial additives. I used Tropic Marin salt to mix water (regular formula).
I noticed the same pH drop in mixed salt water I had sitting in the bucket for a few days before I filled up the cube. I had to make new water because of that.
Is there something wrong with the salt?! :(

pH will change throughout the day, depending if it is day or night and how long the lights have been on ect. I wouldn't worry about yours, a pH of 7.8 is not that bad.

Thanks, Kelsey. I just checked it again and it's 8.0 now. Makes me feel better. :)

Is 84F too high? My FW is stable at 80F, but the cube went up to 84. Is this something to worry about?

That is pretty high but it's okay, not too terrible. Cubes tend to overheat with the closed lid and lighting they have, I always keep my lid cracked open (just stick something in there to hold it open) and my feeding lid open as well. This keeps my tank at around 76 and I even have the hot metal halides.

I cut a dowel to length (side to side) and use it to keep the cover up a little. The further back you slide it, the higher the lid and so the further forward, the lower. Tank sits between 75 (night after lights out and only moonlights) and 78 under full CF. My 14 also has the lighting upgrade so I have 72 watts vice the stock 48.

I have a very inquisitive and great fishing cat so I can't leave the feeding door open or she sticks her paw in where it isn't supposed to be :)

Open lid, got it! Thanks, guys! :)

tlkng1 said:
I have a very inquisitive and great fishing cat so I can't leave the feeding door open or she sticks her paw in where it isn't supposed to be :)
LOL
I hear you. My little one, Pixie, tried to go fishing into my FW tank. She had been sitting and watching it and trying to jump, but I stopped her... until she did jump one day. She hit her nose on the glass and I haven't seen her attempt that fishing expedition since! ;)

Hi V girl how are you checking your PH? You can only accurately know your PH with high profile test kits like Salifert OR digital PH Monitors.

Open lid, got it! Thanks, guys! :)

LOL
I hear you. My little one, Pixie, tried to go fishing into my FW tank. She had been sitting and watching it and trying to jump, but I stopped her... until she did jump one day. She hit her nose on the glass and I haven't seen her attempt that fishing expedition since! ;)

Isn't that the reason for having a fishtank...to keep the cats entertained? :D

Before I had taken things down, my fish actually had relationships with my cats. Depending on which cat was doing the spying, one or more of their "friend" fish would come over to the glass. Cat would put her paw on the glass, fish would bump their noses right where the paw was resting.

skidrow52 said:
Hi V girl how are you checking your PH? You can only accurately know your PH with high profile test kits like Salifert OR digital PH Monitors.

I'm using API liquid tests.

tlkng1 said:
Isn't that the reason for having a fishtank...to keep the cats entertained? :D

Before I had taken things down, my fish actually had relationships with my cats. Depending on which cat was doing the spying, one or more of their "friend" fish would come over to the glass. Cat would put her paw on the glass, fish would bump their noses right where the paw was resting.

That's hilarious! :D
My cats and fish just prefer to ignore each other. :)

New pictures! I moved the rocks around a little bit. I think I like it better now.

The last picture has my hitch-hiker crab. He has some odd twisted shell. Does anybody know what kind he is?
I kept him because I kinda like him, but now I'm having doubts...

BTW, temp is down to 80F - yay!!! Thanks for the advice. And pH is 7.8 :(

Attachments

• image-1393273565.jpg
    image-1393273565.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 165
  • image-2984645907.jpg
    image-2984645907.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 174
  • image-3538018722.jpg
    image-3538018722.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 172
carey said:
Tank looks great!! Love the rockwork. :)

The crab just looks like a regular ole hermit to me.

Thanks, Carey. It's gonna look cooler when I add coral! Boy, do I need to borrow some patience!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom