Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shoot!!! I think I found aiptasia on the LR! pH is still going nuts 7.8, then 8.0, then back to 7.8... :(

Are you planning to add corals? I would increase the MG and CA both and your PH is good you dont need to worry but if you are really worried, get Seachem's Marine Buffer or Reef Buffer which is safe to raise the PH. Get Joe's Juice to kill Atapsia.

Happy Reefing!

Skidrow, yes, I'm planning to add corals later on. The pH settled for 8.0 now, I'm worried about water changes, 'coz when I mix the water its pH is 8.2 and then drops after a few days. Other than that I'd rather leave it be, I'm very cautious about adding chemicals. I think I'll try another salt brand before I get anything live in there, I have to cycle it anyway!

Thanks for Joe's juice advice, I didn't know what it's called. :)

PH in my 150g is 8.10 after lights turn off at night and after the night its 8.02 in mornings till night. Seachem's Reef Buffer is what I use when I see my PH is going more down which is rare, it also adds in Alk which I am usually dosing daily.

skidrow52 said:
PH in my 150g is 8.10 after lights turn off at night and after the night its 8.02 in mornings till night. Seachem's Reef Buffer is what I use when I see my PH is going more down which is rare, it also adds in Alk which I am usually dosing daily.

I didn't quite understand you're dosing the buffer or something for alk daily?
My alk is at 12 and it doesn't fluctuate at all. I don't think there's room for me to raise it any higher, is there?

PH buffers raise PH as well as alk, Seachem';s Marine Buffer doesnt raise PH more than 8.3 even if over doses but will raise Alk in your case you cant use it until your Alk drops, eventually your Alk will start dropping during the cycling period.

Small update. After a week of 0 ammonia (I was hoping for a die-off spike), I tossed in a piece of shrimp. Let's see what happens now! :D
One question, though, should I put the shrimp in a filter media bag or something?

Also, I mixed new saltwater yesterday, checked pH and KH when the salt all dissolved and the results were: pH 8.4, KH 12 or 13 (at 12 drops it turned greenish-yellow and was completely yellow at 13 drops). Then I checked in the morning, pH dropped to 8.0, KH 12. Why would it do that???

Yes on the media bag so you can find the piece of shrimp.

As for the pH, it is possible the salt wasn't mixed enough when you took the initial reading. While to the human eye the salt is dissolved, it still sits suspended. Do you have a pump or powerhead of some sort in the container where you are mixing the salt..sometimes that helps things along.

tlkng1 said:
Yes on the media bag so you can find the piece of shrimp.

As for the pH, it is possible the salt wasn't mixed enough when you took the initial reading. While to the human eye the salt is dissolved, it still sits suspended. Do you have a pump or powerhead of some sort in the container where you are mixing the salt..sometimes that helps things along.

A media bag it is! :)

Yes, I have a PH and I didn't check immediately, I should have been more clear. It was after a couple of hours. I stirred it first to dissolve the particles I could see and then left it alone with a PH. Then I checked the SG, pH etc. and left it overnight. In the morning SG is the same as at night and the pH drops. But it doesn't seem to drop below 7.8.
I'll buy a small bag of different salt tomorrow and see if it happens too and then decide what I'm gonna do about it if anything. :)

Sounds like you are using API test kits, dont trust API test kits for PH and CA, for PH get a digital monitor which is very accurate, in API if you see 8.4 it is 8.3 actually and if you see 8.3 it is usually 8.1 as per my experience I have cross checked API's PH results with American Marina digital pinpoint PH Monitor.

Its not necessary you will have a good spike of ammonia which will keep showing in your test kits, it maybe a lower bloom of ammonia spike as your rocks are live and are just curing so there is bacteria in them to consume something atleast:)

I would not add a shrimp when there are live rocks already to cycle, maybe you can add a pair of strong fish.

A media bag it is! :)

Yes, I have a PH and I didn't check immediately, I should have been more clear. It was after a couple of hours. I stirred it first to dissolve the particles I could see and then left it alone with a PH. Then I checked the SG, pH etc. and left it overnight. In the morning SG is the same as at night and the pH drops. But it doesn't seem to drop below 7.8.
I'll buy a small bag of different salt tomorrow and see if it happens too and then decide what I'm gonna do about it if anything. :)

Sounds like you are using API test kits, dont trust API test kits for PH and CA, for PH get a digital monitor which is very accurate, in API if you see 8.4 it is 8.3 actually and if you see 8.3 it is usually 8.1 as per my experience I have cross checked API's PH results with American Marina digital pinpoint PH Monitor.

Its not necessary you will have a good spike of ammonia which will keep showing in your test kits, it maybe a lower bloom of ammonia spike as your rocks are live and are just curing so there is bacteria in them to consume something atleast:)

I would not add a shrimp when there are live rocks already to cycle, maybe you can add a pair of strong fish.

I disagree with the adding of the fish. I would either add ammonia or if I couldn't do that I would add the shrimp

I disagree with adding fish too so I added a piece of shrimp yesterday.

Testing results this morning:
Ammonia .25-.5
'trite 0
'trate 0
pH 7.8 (I keep the lights off 'coz I started to notice some green algea)

Now we're getting something! :)
Also I saw something that made me sooo excited! I saw dozens and dozens of tiny pods crawling all over the glass! They're like little specks of dust! :)

Adding fish was optional:) By the way keep posting pictures too, would love to see them

I disagree with adding fish too so I added a piece of shrimp yesterday.

Testing results this morning:
Ammonia .25-.5
'trite 0
'trate 0
pH 7.8 (I keep the lights off 'coz I started to notice some green algea)

Now we're getting something! :)
Also I saw something that made me sooo excited! I saw dozens and dozens of tiny pods crawling all over the glass! They're like little specks of dust! :)

Here's a few pictures.
1. I found this little shell on the beach the other day and was wondering if I could throw it in the tank. And if so, do I need to clean it somehow?

2. I saw this white stuff on parts of rock, it's hard. Is it coralline?

3. And the cube with moonlight. :)

Attachments

• image-3975689596.jpg
    image-3975689596.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 152
  • image-2516190933.jpg
    image-2516190933.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1286881253.jpg
    image-1286881253.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 157
Back