tanganyika cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy228

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i want what kinds of tanganyika cichlids would go in a 30 gallon and i already want 2 shell dwellers what would be a good choice?

i have one other question can you mix a yellow lab cichlid from lake malawi with them or is that a bad idea?

I wouldn't mix the lakes. Some have different food requirements. Yellow Labs get a bit big for a 30g too.

Also, I would only have 1 type of shell dweller in a 30g. They are small but most are really territorial and I predict some might get killed depending on which you mix.

Multies are always a good choice. They form colonies so you could have twice as many as you started with in a matter of months.

Brevis are another small shell dweller, good for a 30g. They form pairs and pairs can be territorial, so in a 30g, I'd go with just a couple pairs...maybe 3 max. You'd have to watch them with the fry though because if they feel threatened, they'll kill the fry.

Occies are really territorial so you'd only be able to have a pair in a 30g (I know right!). Otherwise, the males will fight.

There are other not as common shell dwellers that would work too. Do some research. I would plan on choosing one type and then plan other tankmates to suit them. Some of the Julidochromis species would work.

Make sure to do a site search for tanganyika(n) tanks if you haven't already.

They get around 5 inches. They can be aggressive to each other but usually peaceful with most other fish. They will eat small fry and eggs. One website I looked at said they are best kept in a 4' tank and I think that is a good idea, especially if you want to keep more than 1.

Back
Top Bottom