Tank buddy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellissacolleen

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am looking to get a new African cichlid I have a 35 gallon with a yellow lab, a frontosa and a demasoni. What would be a good tank companion for them I am still somewhat new at this.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly, I wouldn't add anything else. Those fish need a 55g tank minimum and adding more will just exacerbate the problem.

I see the frontosa being a problem in the 35 gallon as they grow super fast and need a much bigger tank. Not to change the mood or to rain on your parade, a 35 gallon is a bit small for most african cichlids. From my experience you'll need to over populate the tank to cut back on aggression and this is where a bigger tank would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I plan on buying a bigger tank ad my fish get bigger

You should get a larger tank sooner than later. Your current fish with thrive and be more enjoyable if they have more room

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've already been looking this tank is just temporary I have lots of hiding spots there is very little fighting between the fish I have now

Right now, fighting wouldn't be an issue. The aggression and territorialism in mbuna doesn't set in until sexual maturation typically. The issue is going to be a 10-14" frontosa, which are a social species, and pretty carnivorous. They'll eat anything that will fit in their mouth pretty much...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay and yeah I learned that the hard way with my frontosa my mother insisted on getting a sucker fish for my tank I told her it was a bad idea he was in there for four days and the frontosa ate him hahah

Hahah yupp all I could think of was that song I learned in French class pettiet possion hahah

Back
Top Bottom