Tank crashing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am not sure at all what is happening to my tank.

It was very healthy since setup in September... moved it (95% WC) in December, again 3 weeks later in January. All inhabitants fine.

Sometime in mid-Jan, I lost a neon that had been looking poorly. Water was fine, other fish were fine, I thought it was a one-off thing.

A couple of weeks later I lost my female betta-- found her stuck on top of the internal filter. Don't know if she jumped and got stuck up there or if she floated up there-- it was at water level so I don't know.

Just after the betta died I started getting major algae issues on the plants and walls and some anacharis die-off. Pulled the obviously dead/dying anacharis, cut the photoperiod, started dosing Flourish 2x/wk instead of 1x (supposed to be 2x, but with shrimp I was being careful with the copper content) and very carefully started spot-dosing Excel where the algae was worst every few days. My MTS population also EXPLODED and they remain out 24/7 now... scuttling along the substrate or climbing on the plants or walls or filter.

A week later the anacharis is still dying (not melting as it does with Excel treatment, though) but some of the algae is better. I pull all the stuff that is even slightly tinged brown (about 1/3rd of it) and increase the photoperiod by an hour.

I've been feeding very sparingly-- every couple of days.

Last night I lost a cory cat... Mazda (so named because s/he ZOOMED around the tank from time to time) was stuck between the filter and the wall. Again, not sure if she got there and died or if she floated there...

I have been doing PWCs every 7-10 days.

I am down to 1 peppered cory, 2 neons, 1 glowlight tetra, and 3 amanos.

The tetras don't look wonderful. 1 neon is properly proportioned but fairly pale. 1 is in a semi-constant state of bloat. The glowlight doesn't come out much. I'm a little concerned about NTD as the neon that died in January seemed to have signs of it (not that I knew at the time).

The peppered cory is acting normally, looks healthy, and the amanos are enjoying their little shrimp lives.

I'm working on tests right now, but I am just not sure what is up with my little 8gal. Makes me very sad as it was glorious late last year-- lots of plant growth, very little algae, healthy fish.

The tank was 'empty' for about 2 hours each time (substrate left with about 1cm of water covering it, was thoroughly gravel-vac'd after the first move).

Plants and filter stayed in a bucket of tank water and tests after each move remained stable (0 ammonia- 0 nitrite- 5-10 nitrate).

My filter seems to be clogging up pretty quickly as of late though. It's a Duetto 100 or 150 (rated for 20gal, set at about 3/4ths flow). I've been having to rinse it out every week... the media is always full of gunk. This has been since the algae outbreak. It's running a fine sponge, a thicker sponge (both standard media for the filter) and then a clump of filter 'mat' from my old filter instead of carbon. Would popping the carbon in help at all?

Alrighty... tests are in.

pH 7.6
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrates 0-5ppm
temp is ~80 (thermometer is algae-ified...). I turned it up to see if it would make a difference, hasn't seemed to. I had turned it down after the betta died as it didn't need to be warm for her anymore.

this is a week after the last PWC. clearly my 'trates are bottoming out with the lower bioload, which makes sense as to why the algae has gone haywire after losing my biggest bioload fish (betta).

still isn't explaining the poorly looking neons or why I'm losing fish, though... although all three deaths are 'explainable', I'm not buying.

Back
Top Bottom