Tank Cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all... Total newbie. I think my tank is cycled but I'd like to run the numbers by you guys.

26 gal
Fluval C3 filter
No live plants
7 White Cloud minnows

Tank has been set up for just over 3 weeks. I did use the Fluval Biological Enhancer which came with my aquarium kit. The biggest ammonia spike I saw was 0.5 about a week ago. I have been doing pwc of about 30% every third day or so. I've been using Prime to protect the fish. For the last four days I've been reading ammonia levels of, what I think is, less than 0.25.

Today I received my API Master Test Kit and did the tests. The results are
pH - 7.0
Ammonia - <0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I did shake the bottles really well for the tests, especially the Nitrate test.
So what do you guys think is happening here?

The fish are doing great, exhibiting mating behavior even thought I saw a couple of fry. 58 year old eyes are not the best, lol.

charlie

I think you just haven't reached the stage where ammonia fixing bacteria have fully developed. Otherwise you would have a reading of nitrite. Have the fish been in the tank for the entire 3 weeks?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hmm... Strange. The bacteria should have developed by now. If the fish are fine (which minnows are pretty hardy so they are good for doing a fish induced cycle) then it is just a matter of time before you notice a nitrite spike followed by a drop and nitrate spike. Once you notice nitrates then your cycle is over. PWCs control nitrates. Did you ever notice an ammonia spike after you added the fish?

About 2 weeks after I added the fish the ammonia rose to 0.5ppm. I did a water change that day and they have remained in the 0.25 range ever since. I'm wondering if I should increase the biological load.

That may help but beware overdoing it as it may be too much for the fish to handle.

I planned on waiting a couple of more weeks before I added more stock. Think I'll stick to that plan and just keep an eye on things. jfran thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom