Tank failure, what's next

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Everyday I learn a little more, sadly at the cost of a little fishy. So the baby BGK died. Not surprisingly since I basically did everything wrong. What I don't know is what to do now -another attempt at a fish? Go fishless? The lfs told me they have some chemicals that would jump start a cycle. Should I do that? If we get another fish should I do a 100% wc first?

Also, the kid is set on a BGK nothing will change his mind so if we go this route I would like to get the tank set up properly. I need to get a better type of filter, fine sandlike gravel, and figure out how to get the water ph down where it won't spike up later.

What I'm leaning toward is changing out all the gravel now. Going to lfs to get chemical (I'm assuming its ammonia) and trying a quicker fishless cycle. Thoughts?

The tank has been up 3 days (2 days with a fish). Fish died in front of my eyes. Taken out immediately.

40 gal tank (too small LT I know). .25 ammonia, 0 nitrate/nitrite yesterday. 50% wc treated with live bacteria. Today .5 ammonia, 0 n/n. ph 8.4-8.6 (very high). Fish died today.

I would go a fishless cycle to get the tank set up and established (a little bit more mature) before adding the BGK (who may be a little sensitive anyways). That will give you time to research.

That could be a little tough on kids patience but water testing, etc may help. You could try the bottle bacteria. Some gravel or filter from an established tank is good.

Edit - yeah, tank size might be a limiting factor. I always consider final fish size as rarely can we trade here.

Last edited:
Fish less cycle was easy for me. Maybe set it up with cheaper small gold fish, get your levels right before adding the fish he wants. I don't know anything about that fish but maybe it's sensitive to your parameters.

What is changing the gravel going to do? Seems like a waste of time. I haven't been following your journey so I don know what's really going on. I would do a fish in cycle with a couple of gold fish. Do 50% water change every day! with prime and go from there. I am sure an expert will chime in to help! Good luck!

I think that I have to get the kid interested in another fish type. I think he likes the odd balls and maybe I could get him into ANYTHING else. I need a really hardy fish that we would want to keep. I really do not want gold fish. :).

For some reason my water has ammonia out of the tap and even when I had good bacteria, etc. the ammonia level remains at .25.

Lets try this suggestions for hardy but "cool" looking fish or even oddballs?

I was going to change the gravel because the BGK likes the sandy bottom and I bought the rocky colored pet store stuff.

This isn't really an oddball but here's a good one: Apistogramma cacatouides 'triple red'. Really cool fish, but it needs a mature tank. You could do an amazon themed tank, like this:

- 1 angel
- pair of Apistogramma cacatouides 'triple red'*
- 8 rummynose tetras
- 6 orange von rio flame tetras
- 6 glowlight tetras
- 4 otocinclus vittatus*
*requires a mature tank (3+ months)

That would be a great, active tank!

Attachments

• Apistogramma_cacatuoides_Triple_Red_0001.jpg
    Apistogramma_cacatuoides_Triple_Red_0001.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 65