Tank Journal – 125 Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
more pics

img_1181922_0_b60eb4e2661b45c846fdafe84608a0a7.jpg

img_1181922_1_5e4794a534780911f85ec51cabf20689.jpg

img_1181922_2_4438cc6644b153d051964794fe77d038.jpg

img_1181922_3_1f56565fa63f9a6029cddbb258a9d30d.jpg

img_1181922_4_fd1c70313e26f6342543e3a53b62de6d.jpg

img_1181922_5_95729888b77211df3868ce42a218740d.jpg

Close-ups

Leather - coloring up nicely under new lighting!

img_1181923_0_36dd61455676c3ac0f39e08fb05ab67c.jpg

Kenya Tree (I think) got moved a couple times and REALLY hated that, then I think light shock, it's very light on top, better on bottom

img_1181923_1_f6b4894c57af4895eb3a3252b0fdd8e4.jpg

Fuzzy Mushrooms that split a few weeks ago

img_1181923_2_cee05ea463663625e7b28087cf41d177.jpg

Green Star Polyp about as extended as I've ever seen

img_1181923_3_5bb0d1895f28ddc7cd2b285b354f6a4c.jpg

Say you go from a 4 lamp Power Compact 65W x 4 to an 8 lamp T5HO 54W x 8. The corals will need to acclimate to the light level. Same goes for when you replace year-old 'stock' lamps (came with fixture) with newer, better ones

i happen to like the window screen method best (take 3 or 4 window screens, place them between the tank and the new fixture/bulbs, and remove one every 4 or 5 days until they are all gone).

See Floyd u learn something new everyday now if only you had a tank in a dental office that had frags hmmm that'd be great :)

Just a few updates. The Xenia have ceased receding and are now on an upswing of growth. Strange since the ATS has depleted the N and I believe the P (still haven't bought a new Salifert test kit, thinking I might not waste $$ on it and get a colorometer instead), but I have instructed the owner to over-feed the tank, and he's doing a good job of that!! ATS is handling everything nicely, and after a week or two where I was worried a little about the Zoas, Kenya tree, and Kryptonite Candy Cane, they are all doing great. The Kenya Tree is very slowly coming back, and the Candy Cane has sprouted 2 new heads in the past month - I didn't get a good look at it until it fell the other day. The Zoas are staying open big time and growing, one of them looked like it had a section swinging loosely then a few days later it looked smaller, so I'm thinking a section broke off and floated away. No chance of finding that, I should have fragged it when I saw it. Oh well.

The Sun Poylp looked like it was dying off, the ends looked a little white, but last night when I stopped in to clean the screen, it was open big time and has about 4 more heads. As far as I know, he's not target feeding it either. I'm wondering if the pod explosion from the ATS is feeding it enough, it seems to be doing fine on it's own.

All the fish are doing great, the 2 pairs of clowns are getting along fine from what I can tell, strangely enough they all like the front corner of the tank that forms a triangle between the front pane and the overflow tower.

The Nerite snails dropped a couple dozen eggs on the front pane alone, I read up on these and found out that you have to remove them and put them in a brackish water / tidal pool environment, they won't survive in a reef system. Interestingly enough, the Nerite snails in another tank I maintain did the same thing a month ago. They all came from the same batch I got from reefcleaners.org over a year ago.

I have been testing for Strontium and Iodide/Iodate for a couple months, and even after a 20% PWC I get nothing on both. So I bought a 480mL bottle of Seachem Strontium and started adding that, I did the minimum dose of 5mL per 20G (which should raise St by 0.6 ppm) and tested 4 hours later, still nothing. So I added 10mL/G last night and this morning, but I won't get in there to test again until it's probably depleted. I figured out that I would have to add the whole 480mL bottle at once to raise the Strontium to 11.5, which would be in the good range according to the Salifert test kit. That's insane! Would adding that much Strontium at once be too much?

As for Iodide, I got Seachem Iodide and added the minimum dose of 5mL/50G or 10 mL in this case and 4 hours later the Iodide showed about 0.06-0.10 ppm, then 24 hours later it had dropped to about 0.03 ish. The Salifert kit has 2 tests, one for Iodide and one for combo Iodine/Iodate and the second one is very difficult to read. I have no idea what the level is at, but it would seem to make sense that if the Iodide level is around 0.06 that the combined level should be the same at a minimum. But the coloring is so slight that I can't tell at all. I think I may have to start another thread regarding how to read their results.

I also bought a jar of Seachem Magnesium. Same story with that one as with Strontium, 5g per 20g raises Mg by 5 ppm, so adding 50g to 100G should raise it by 10ppm, and it's at about 1140 now so to boost it to 1300 I have to add 800 mg, or more than one whole jar!

Plus, Alk is dropping like a rock, I add 8g Brightwell Alkalin8.3-P about every other day on the average and it drops back down.

What irks me the most is that the Reef Advantage Calcium and Magnesium by Seachem instructions say don't add Alk within 30 minutes of either product, or on a different day if possible. I assume this it to prevent precipitation. But it still sucks because I have to make 2 stops or leave some for the owner to dose, which he forgot about one day (so now I set it on his desk!!)

I'm thinking it's time to switch to a BRS 2-part or something!!! Maybe even a dosing system....

what in the tank is using calcium? i can't believe that a bunch of softies are burning up calcium and alk like that.
i've never added iodide or strontium to my tanks, so i can't comment on that. i did add magnesium at one point, because i had a briopsis issue in the frag tanks, and i used kent tech-m. i can't remember the dosage, but i do remember that i didn't have too add what seemed like a lot to raise it.

There is an ORA Green Birdsnest, Trumpet, Kryptonite Candy Cane, Tri-Color Valida, 2 Rose Millepora, a half dozen or so Red Caps, about 6 colonies of Zoas, Branching Hammer, Sun Polyp...I think most of those suck up the Cal and Alk, don't they? There might be one or two in there that I'm wrong on. I'm sure I could look them all up and get it right. Plus I'm getting a Coralline explosion now that the P has dropped off.

I posted a separate thread about the Str, Mg, Io, Ca, Alk, read up on the Randy Holmes-Farley article.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/dosing-strontium-mg-ca-alk-137173.html

Pretty much said don't bother with Io, Strontium too (unless test says < 5ppm, which is the case), and gives good explanation of Ca, Alk, Mg.

As for dosing too close together, Kurt answered that one nicely (same thread)

go to BRS's front page. they have a bunch of videos that explain things a bit.
btw, how large are these colonies? like softball sized?

go to BRS's front page. they have a bunch of videos that explain things a bit.
btw, how large are these colonies? like softball sized?

If you look through the pics in posts about 98-101 there are a bunch of current pics. The ORA was golf ball size in May, now I would say it's softball size.

The Valida is hard to see because of Anthelia around it, but it's got about 3-4 fingers about 3-4" long.

Rose Mill. is 2 small sections about 1cm and 3cm long (slow growers)

Sun Polyp is about 1" tall and round

Candy Cane is about the size of a Kiwi

Trumpet has about 7 heads, each about 1" in diameter

Red Caps vary from 1 sq in to about 6 sq in. I would say a total of about 10-14 sq in worth.

Zoas range from colonies of 6 or so head to the larger one which is probably pushing 100.

I forgot about a War coral, golf ball size and spreading

Also an Acan...crud man! I just no realized that I haven't seen the acan in quite a while!!! It must have fallen into the back. DANG IT!

I fragged a bunch of Anthelia and found the Acan, surprisingly it's doing just fine after 2 months face down in the sand.

Got 4 peppermint shrimp to help battle the Aptasia. They've already eliminated a couple of them, even though you can't see them at all - those guys are really good at hiding!

I noticed a few things in the tank and started a couple ID/help threads:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f18/id-a-couple-of-things-138349.html#post1196028

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/leather-tree-turning-yellow-green-138350.html#post1196031

I did that with a galaxia, forgot it was in my tank until I was talking about it.

Back
Top Bottom