Tank not cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

typhoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there, i jut recently got a new 40gl aquarium. I havent put any fish in yet because i want to let it cycle first, so i got everythign set up, all my pumps and filters going, all the decor in place,and i have all the ammonia and nitrite, nitrate, and ph testing supplies. I checked my water beforehand all the levels were fine, so I went and bought some pure ammonia and added a little splash in the water, i checked the ammonia a little while later and it had gone from zero to about 5-6ppm. Its been almost two weeks now, and the ammonia levels havent gone down any. I know it takes a while to cycle it this way, but shouldnt i have started to see a drop in ammonia levels by now? The nitrites are still at zero also.

Si how can I get my tank cycled faster?

Do a water change and get the ammonia down to about 4ppm. 5-6 is a little too high. I believe it is 8ppm that will stall the cycle. There is a link in my signature with tips/tricks to speed up the cycle. Turning the heat up will certainly help. BTW, welcome to AA :)

yup with the ammonia that high it will take longer for the cycle to go. i had the same problem with i used pure ammonia. it got to high and was taking for ever.(stalled) did a couple water changes to bring it down and then the cycled went fast. i would just do a 50% water change and then you should be good.

Thanks so much guys! Il do a water change pronto.

I tested my water today and my ammonia was at 3.0 so I did about....30%-40% water change. Hopefully it brings the ammonia back down. It should for you too.

No need to do PWCs at 3ppm with no fish. Try to keep 4ppm of ammonia in the tank until the cycle converts it to nitrates in 24 hours or less.

Ok so i did about a 40% water change, which brought the ammonia down to around 1ppm. Should I leave it at that? Or add a bit more amomnia to bring it up a little?

4ppm is the goal. I used a medicine syringe to measure the amount of AMM , will take a little trial and error to figure the amount to add, Q? is it pure AMM or 10% or what?
You will need to know exactly how much AMM to add to get it to adjust the levels up by 1ppm at a time.

4ppm is the goal. I used a medicine syringe to measure the amount of AMM , will take a little trial and error to figure the amount to add, Q? is it pure AMM or 10% or what?
You will need to know exactly how much AMM to add to get it to adjust the levels up by 1ppm at a time.

The bottle, says 10% and i made sure to shake it before buying it no bubbles or foam came up.

Im using a small medicine dropper now to add single drops until it raises.

and since ive already had ammonia in the tank for a while now, shoudl the cycling start going faster now the levels have dropped?

add 5 drops and check after 1hr.. then you will know how much to add to get it to the to 3 or 4 pmm. the next thing you will need to get the little buggers growing is heat.. raise the tank temp to 82.

What kind of filter are you running?

Can you get any seed material from some one or some where?

if you can get some gravel from a well establised tank .. just put it in a new unwashed panti hose and put the pouch in the filter.. you will jump start your cycle.

I have a hob carbon filter by tetra. And Im not ure where i would be able to get any seed material. Possibly the aquarium store?

I can’t find your filter online... does it have a place for filter media? Like bio rings? Or is it just a mechanical filtration with carbon pack?

IMO the Aqua Clear 50 at the least or better with the Aqua clear 70 .. The bigger the better,
It uses the bio rings for biological filtration... Which is what you are after with the fishless cycle?

I did get my scope of gravel from my Local fish store… I have been there a number of times and the tanks looked great... Very well cared for.

it can take 4-6 weeks to cycle give it time. get the ammonia back up to 3-4ppm. you can also get some gravel and just put it in pantyhose or something then take it out once you are done. the extra bacteria will help jump start the tank.

Ive been putting in drops of ammonia everyday now, but it seems like it wont get past 2ppm, I feel like im adding alot more ammonia than i did the first time, but the test tubes arent turning any greeener!

I suppose il just wait some more :) Hopefully those lil bacteria buggers will start growing soon.

and to gmike...the filter has a compartment where the carbon cartridge and the bio fiber are located, its where the water runs through and it looks like there would be space there to fit in some seed material. It doesnt have any bio rings though:confused:

well if you have to add ammonia every day thats a start. any nitrites yet? what kind of test kit are you using?

I checked just the other day, it was still zero. Il check again tommorrow. And im using a liquid drop test kit by api.

Back
Top Bottom