Tank questions & showing off :).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes those are it! Read away and follow it to the T for a perfect start on that monster build!

Okay, it was a little confusing at first, but the more I read it the better I am understanding it. & I'm from a small town south of San Antonio.

What part do you not understand on it? I can explain it all but its soo much to type on a phone!

Okay, so set the tank up, buy a bottle of pure ammonia, I can also add some of the decorations in my old tank to my new tank to help with bacteria, then just keep testing levels? Basically, right?

Oh nice, I'm from lytle!

Okay, so set the tank up, buy a bottle of pure ammonia, I can also add some of the decorations in my old tank to my new tank to help with bacteria, then just keep testing levels? Basically, right?

Oh nice, I'm from lytle!

Well yes you can do it that wsy. Do you habe an api test kit? The decor doesnt add much of any bb to your tank what filter sre you gonna use?

Well yes you can do it that wsy. Do you habe an api test kit? The decor doesnt add much of any bb to your tank what filter sre you gonna use?

I'm going to API master test kit on amazon. It's penn plax 700 gph canister filter. (2 of them).

Stickie said it helps to add the decor because it already has bacteria? So is that basically the right way then?

I'm going to API master test kit on amazon. It's penn plax 700 gph canister filter. (2 of them).

Stickie said it helps to add the decor because it already has bacteria? So is that basically the right way then?

Yes its the right way. If your gonna use the same filter then I would split the media as well so the new tank has some bb in the filter

Yes its the right way. If your gonna use the same filter then I would split the media as well so the new tank has some bb in the filter

Sorry...can you be a bit more specific? I'm new to all this still. "BB" means what? & "split the media" means what? I don't mean to sound dumb here lol. The filters I use in the new tank, will be new filters.

Okay, so rookie question here. I've tried to go about reading what exactly cycling means & I can't quit figure it out. Usually before I put fish in my aquarium, I run it for a week & with just the water, air stones, & filters going. Would that do it?

The basic idea is that you add a source of ammonia and wait for the bacteria that break it down into nitrite to colonize your filter. Then you wait for the bacteria that take nitrite and turn it into nitrate to colonize. Once it takes a day or less for new ammonia to be converted all the way to nitrate (zero readings for ammonia and nitrite, and nitrates are present) your tank is cycled. There are a few ways to go about it, but that's what cycling a tank means. Establishing the nitrogen cycle.

Sorry...can you be a bit more specific? I'm new to all this still. "BB" means what? & "split the media" means what? I don't mean to sound dumb here lol. The filters I use in the new tank, will be new filters.

Well bb means beneficial bacteria and split media means take from your old and give to your new! If they are gonna be new filters then no point

The basic idea is that you add a source of ammonia and wait for the bacteria that break it down into nitrite to colonize your filter. Then you wait for the bacteria that take nitrite and turn it into nitrate to colonize. Once it takes a day or less for new ammonia to be converted all the way to nitrate (zero readings for ammonia and nitrite, and nitrates are present) your tank is cycled. There are a few ways to go about it, but that's what cycling a tank means. Establishing the nitrogen cycle.

Okay :). That was helpful. Thank you! So purchasing a bottle of pure ammonia is essentially all you have to do to achieve this?

Well bb means beneficial bacteria and split media means take from your old and give to your new! If they are gonna be new filters then no point

Oh okay, thanks! I now know what it means lol. I suppose since I'm using new filters I shouldn't add the decor. I'm going to be using new sand as well, everything new basically.

Oh okay, thanks! I now know what it means lol. I suppose since I'm using new filters I shouldn't add the decor. I'm going to be using new sand as well, everything new basically.

Yeah you can still add the decor to speed the process up a tiny bit

Yeah you can still add the decor to speed the process up a tiny bit

Okay :). I'll do that then. Sounds like it'll be 3-4 weeks before I get my fish in my tank, but it will be worth it as long as they aren't hurt in the process! I've really become attached to these oscars, they have amazing personalities. My friends mock me alot because I'm so into fish, but it's a relaxing hobby that I enjoy doing.

Okay :). I'll do that then. Sounds like it'll be 3-4 weeks before I get my fish in my tank, but it will be worth it as long as they aren't hurt in the process! I've really become attached to these oscars, they have amazing personalities. My friends mock me alot because I'm so into fish, but it's a relaxing hobby that I enjoy doing.

There is nothing wrong with caring for and loving fish! Im soo anxious. I have no tanks at the moment because I recently moved from houston and im getting a 36 bow soon!

There is nothing wrong with caring for and loving fish! Im soo anxious. I have no tanks at the moment because I recently moved from houston and im getting a 36 bow soon!

Oh they don't tease to much, they just find it "different" lol :).

Ahh, there's just something about a bow front that I like, that's why I looked for this one' I was excited to find it for so cheap.

But it's late, I got work early. I really need to get off here but I'm addicted to this forum lol. Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I'll be talking to you in the near future. Good night.

Oh they don't tease to much, they just find it "different" lol :).

Ahh, there's just something about a bow front that I like, that's why I looked for this one' I was excited to find it for so cheap.

But it's late, I got work early. I really need to get off here but I'm addicted to this forum lol. Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I'll be talking to you in the near future. Good night.

Yeah im here daily!

Well so first day with my aquarium, & I got it moved into position. :).
I've been on amazon all day getting a shopping cart ready. I'm going to post pictures of my cart. Any suggestions or additions would be nice?

Attachments

• image-1506448286.jpg
    image-1506448286.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2790983905.jpg
    image-2790983905.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 85
Well so first day with my aquarium, & I got it moved into position. :).
I've been on amazon all day getting a shopping cart ready. I'm going to post pictures of my cart. Any suggestions or additions would be nice?

Prime? I see you have something for ammonia that I'm not familiar with, but I've found nothing better than Prime for ammonia and nitrite, as well as water changes of course.

Your whole new tank is awesome. I can't wait for more updates.

Edited, never mind. That is ammonia for cycling, lol. Totally misread that.

Back
Top Bottom