Tank sizes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mart242

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a bunch of searches on the forum but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for... "height" and "depth" are popular words! :oops:

I'm wondering what's better in terms of tank sizes, ie: length, depth, width for different setups:

- freshwater
- freshwater with plants
- salt water with corals with fishes, shrimps and lots of stuff.

Let's say that I'm looking for FW tank, ~50 - 70 gallons. I'd begin with fishes only but would add plants at some points. Am I better to go with a
50 gallons that's 36 x 18 x 18,
a 55 gallons that's 48 x 13 x 20
or a 65 gallons that's 36 x 18 x 24

Is depth important? width? or length?

Now if it was for saltwater, what dimension is key? depth and width? (depth = more $$$ lights though.. right?).

Now what abotu bow front and corner tanks? It's just for show right? Worth it?

Thanks!

Now if it was for saltwater, what dimension is key? depth and width? (depth = more $$$ lights though.. right?).

Very much so. Tall tanks are hard to pull off with a planted tank or saltwater tank. Besides the lights, which need to be alot stronger to pentrate the bottom of the tank, you almost need more plants to make the tank look more full. Taller plants, anyways. In a saltwater tank, you would need to build up more liverock in order to make the tank look more full. This is just a personal preference of mine. I do not like having large empty spaces in my tank.

To answer your question though, it doesn't really matter and is more for your eye's benefit. The only thing you would have to worry about with tall tanks are getting fish that like to school or are very active, fast swimmers. These would benefit from a longer tank. If you want something light intensive, I'd go with a shorter tank.

If I had to choose between either size you listed, I'd personally go with the 55 gallon.

As for bowfront tanks and corner tanks...just for show. And more pricy.

HTH

Thanks for the feedback.

I stopped by Big Al's today and saw a nice 75 gallon tank with a super nice stand (which is wife approved! she wants a nice one because it will be in the living room). The tank is 48x18x20... That would be even better than the 55 gallon because it's wider right?

The stand is a sedona, it looks nice and hopefully is sturdy as well!

pic3sedona1jh.jpg

I have a red oak Sedona stand, it is really nice. I just set up a 55gal planted tank, and the one thing I would do differently would be to get a 75gal! The 55s are so narrow front to back (12") that aquscaping is tough. I bought mine on Ebay so didn't ahve too much choice. 55gal is a lot smaller, though, which means less substrate, less water during water changes, smaller filtration etc etc so will be cheaper. But I usually find (the hard way!) that going bigger is always better, unless money is really a limiting factor (as in my case....starving grad student).

Good luck!

newfound77951 said:
I have a red oak Sedona stand, it is really nice. I just set up a 55gal planted tank, and the one thing I would do differently would be to get a 75gal!

My wife and I fear that we'll have to upgrade if we buy a small one so buying a big one from the start seems like the way to go. As she always says, you might as well buy the good stuff from the start! :p

mart242 said:
newfound77951 said:
I have a red oak Sedona stand, it is really nice. I just set up a 55gal planted tank, and the one thing I would do differently would be to get a 75gal!

My wife and I fear that we'll have to upgrade if we buy a small one so buying a big one from the start seems like the way to go. As she always says, you might as well buy the good stuff from the start! :p

Larger is definiltey better. If your wife approves, I say you've found a perfect tank!

Your wife has approved the perfect tank. It is long enough to be noticed and wide enough for all matter of livestock (fish, plants, inverts, etc). And, it's not too high to create problems with lights and maintenance.

Congrats and keep us updated on what you will be doing with it.

Here's an update...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=75427&start=24

Basically, it looks like I'll have to wait before I move before getting it because moving it messes up the bio a lot more than I thought. I thought that moving a tank was putting fishes in a bucket with water, gravel in another one, moving the tank and putting the fishes back once at destination. It looks like it's not the case. :(

Lots of people in a local forum also recommend to buy a full set-up used. But since I'm still clueless in terms of fish maintenance, I'm afraid that the fishes would die and I think that starting a tank from the scratch would be a lot more fun... you know, buying a few fishes once in a while with my son, planing a new plant, ... it comes at a price though.

Wow, I didn't catch the connection at first. Based on your earlier thread, you have chosen wisely (if the Sedona is the one).

Planning out a tank is really cool, especially if it is a shared experience. Going slowly is beneficial as well. This hobby takes a ton of patience. Buying a used set up is a nice and economically sound idea, provided that all of the equipment is functional and the tank is free of defects. Shop around if you can, some great deals can be found.

For a freshwater I'd go with more lenght and width and less depth. There is a bigger rate of air exchange. I don't know about saltwater. If you have big fish I'd go with length. What's a 36 inch tank to a 10 inch oscar?

it's all about total surface area. I have the 75gal and got it over the 55 because the extra 6" in depth makes a huge difference in surface area.
48x12=576
48x18=876
Those are square inches. It's like 50% more area. Think of it as a gym, Would you rather run in small circles but have a really high ceiling with a ladder you could climb or a full size gym with a little lower ceiling, you could play floor hockey, basketball. I think you get it. It isn't all in the number of gallons or in the width of the tank. The depth plays an important role. I almost went with 65 becaue it has a small footprint but a large surface area.
36x18=648
All in all I think the 55 should be 3rd on your list behind the 75 and then the 65.

Back
Top Bottom