Tank update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monroe10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well there is no update to my knowledge "it looks good" coming from my mom I will give a full update as soon as I get home tomorrow, I can't wait! Could be getting more rock for it. I will be posting pics of it tomorrow as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am going to be getting fish this weekend, think about get a clown and a damsel.

image-532431847.jpg

I'd skip the damsel, they get super mean and attack you other fish. I had to remove mine and so has many a reefer...

What do you think then, my back up was some sort if wrasse?

DO NOT get a damsel you will regret it. Then good luck catching them. I had to drain my tank to get mine out. A mated pair of clowns is always cool to watch. Also I like cardinals too! Always out where you can see them.

See I'm under the impression from my friend that I can't get two clown fish in the same tank?

They will fight a little until one establishes dominance and becomes the male. The other will then become the female. Weird right? They can be either/or. If you get a already mated pair its better. You dont want more than two though.

Oh ok i have acually heard of this, so could I get 2 of them and say a 6 line wresse and an anemmey? or is that to much at once?

An I know it is spelled wrong hahaa

h8z2luze said:
They will fight a little until one establishes dominance and becomes the male. The other will then become the female. Weird right? They can be either/or. If you get a already mated pair its better. You dont want more than two though.

Got it backwards there :) clowns are born male and the dominant (usually largest) changes to a female. When purchasing them the best way to do it is get the largest and smallest clowns in the tank but I would hold off on the other fish til your tank stabilizes. I also wouldn't add the Nem unless your tank has been running 4+ months.

Monroe10 said:
Oh ok i have acually heard of this, so could I get 2 of them and say a 6 line wresse and an anemmey? or is that to much at once?

An I know it is spelled wrong hahaa

I don't think I'd add all that at once. (What size tank?). I'd go with the clown pair first, unless you're planning on one of the more aggressive species. Wait a week or two before adding another fish.

If this is a newly established tank, you should probably wait six months to a year on an anemone. The clowns don't need it, and if they're captive bred are quite likely to ignore it. I've had a pair of captive bred occelaris in my 75 for a couple weeks and neither of them has ever looked at my long tentacle. (Just as well - the anemone has settled at the back of the tank.)

I have never experienced it, but some folks have had the sixline become aggressive with age.

Got it backwards there :) clowns are born male and the dominant (usually largest) changes to a female. When purchasing them the best way to do it is get the largest and smallest clowns in the tank but I would hold off on the other fish til your tank stabilizes. I also wouldn't add the Nem unless your tank has been running 4+ months.

Ya that ^^ :) either way you get the point haha. I would just add the 2 clowns for now and let your BB catch up. Then add more stuff in a couple weeks.

And then maybe I could add say....wrasse or a lion fish, or are they too aggressive?

I highly doubt the lion fish would be a good idea but I have no experience with them. Is it going to be a Reef or just a Fish only?

Monroe10 said:
And then maybe I could add say....wrasse or a lion fish, or are they too aggressive?

I think the tank is a little small for a lion. On the other hand, I love the wrasse family. How about a Carpenters or a McCoskers?

Yeah they are sweet, I just have to see if my lfs has them.

Last edited by a moderator:
A dwarf is fine in a 55 but anything that will fit in its mouth is potentially its next meal. Also if your lfs does not have a certain fish in stock a lot of times they will order it in for you if you leave them your name and number. If not you can always order it yourself which I actually reccomend since you eliminate the middleman and one less stop for the fish before ending up in your tank.

Now I live in Ohio and there is a huge SW store in cleavland i heard of, but never have been there, but the place I usually go to has a very wide selection, I can call them and see. I know they have a dwarf Lion that I saw there. I might pick that up in a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom