Tanks mates for an electric blue acara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
Starting up a new tank soon with the the electric blue acara as the centerpiece.Tank will be a 20g long with more than adequate filtration,some hard scape,dw&planted as well.Any&all suggestions will be appreciated..thank you

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In a 30 x 12 x 12 I would say 1 blue acara is pushing it with out any tank mates. Really should be in a 30 gallon. 36 x 12

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In a 30 x 12 x 12 I would say 1 blue acara is pushing it with out any tank mates. Really should be in a 30 gallon. 36 x 12

I would even go to say 50 gallon if you really wanna start anything ^-^

Really at 1 1/2 - 2 in. max in size?

Electric blue acaras get 6"....you are probably thinking of electric blue Rams, mikrogeophagus ramirezi. EB acaras are aequidens pulcher

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Really at 1 1/2 - 2 in. max in size?

My apologies,definitely the electric blue ram...I could get by with a pair in the 20g long I suppose..maybe some neons or cardinals with some cory's..gonna be a dirted tank with a sand cap..

Electric blue acaras get 6"....you are probably thinking of electric blue Rams, mikrogeophagus ramirezi. EB acaras are aequidens pulcher

I should be able to instant cycle the w/media borrowed from 5 other mature tanks that have been running without issues for between 3-5 yrs...I also maintain a strict pwc schedule of 50% every week.

I need a mod to change the title from acara to ram plz.

Yep sorry op I was going off what the title said. Rams will work

I wouldn't do ramirezi of any color morph in a newly setup tank unless I knew I had absolutely solid stock. Blue Rams are notoriously fragile when it comes to water quality due to poor breeding in Thailand. If you can get them from a private breeder, usually they do much better, but any of the big box stores, or fish stores that order from the same wholesalers will typically have the weaker rams

I wouldn't do ramirezi of any color morph in a newly setup tank unless I knew I had absolutely solid stock. Blue Rams are notoriously fragile when it comes to water quality due to poor breeding in Thailand. If you can get them from a private breeder, usually they do much better, but any of the big box stores, or fish stores that order from the same wholesalers will typically have the weaker rams

Unfortunately this is the absolute truth, it'd be a total gamble in a fresh tank..are you using ro water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tnx for the replies...I've been able to keep a pair of females in a 20g(standard) for over a year now in tap water(treated of course) without issue...my tap runs at a ph of 8.0,these rams came from a local breeder who raises them in tap.

That seems to make all the difference with these sharp little creatures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom