Teen aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah. I already have more than that in my 55, and I've barely even started stocking :eek: Once you add it up, the money you spend on a tank is pretty mind boggling. So, I like to not think about it much :ROFLMAO:

I try to save money but not skip out on quality so,

Thanks! :) This is definitely the first scape I've received compliments on, I suck at scaping :p I believe my profile biography is still "awful aquascaper" :lol:

I was a bit afraid, putting that much money into it, however when I thought about it I realized that I would probably make it back, and then some. The portions I got were tissue cultured, so they have little "clones" popping out everywhere. So, lots of plants per portion. Also, since size seems to be everything with downoi due to the slow growth rate, an $8 portion could easily be worth $40+ when grown out.

Hahaha, that's the way to look at it. I my tank has a current worth of $___, it's increase by ____ this much from when I first bought it. I think I shall speak of my tanks like that from now on, although we wouldn't want to talk about the 55g right now... I didn't know they tissue cultured downoi. Interesting.

And don't worry my aquascaping is still as awful from when I started. I really want to redo parts of my tanks and will get around to it eventually... Maybe.

Hahaha, that's the way to look at it. I my tank has a current worth of $___, it's increase by ____ this much from when I first bought it. I think I shall speak of my tanks like that from now on, although we wouldn't want to talk about the 55g right now... I didn't know they tissue cultured downoi. Interesting.

And don't worry my aquascaping is still as awful from when I started. I really want to redo parts of my tanks and will get around to it eventually... Maybe.

Yup, not all downoi is tissue cultured but some is - I like tissue cultured plants, usually quite a bit healthier since grown under ideal conditions in a lab. Some people don't like them though due to their small size, since growing out can be a slow process. You can also find tissue cultured dwarf hairgrass, telanthera, crypts, staurogyne repens (my staurogyne was also TC). Doesn't look like a great deal for what you get at first, since they're so tiny, but once they're fully grown, you realize you only paid $8 for 20 crypts ;)

Yup, not all downoi is tissue cultured but some is - I like tissue cultured plants, usually quite a bit healthier since grown under ideal conditions in a lab. Some people don't like them though due to their small size, since growing out can be a slow process. You can also find tissue cultured dwarf hairgrass, telanthera, crypts, staurogyne repens (my staurogyne was also TC). Doesn't look like a great deal for what you get at first, since they're so tiny, but once they're fully grown, you realize you only paid $8 for 20 crypts ;)

That's pretty awesome what we can do, a little scary too. I'm definitely going to have to look at that because I'm looking at some crypts for a few of my tanks and that is a price that makes me happy;). Seriously cool info though. Glad we have a plant person here!

That's pretty awesome what we can do, a little scary too. I'm definitely going to have to look at that because I'm looking at some crypts for a few of my tanks and that is a price that makes me happy;). Seriously cool info though. Glad we have a plant person here!

Yeah - I've been looking into tissue culturing plants at home, actually. It'll definitely wait until I have a bit more money laying around - not that it's super expensive, but all possible funds are going towards stocking the 55 :)

Idk!! I had it in my back pack when i went to the carnival and i was reading it on the way back home and now its just broke. The screen is trashed

That really sucks, like did it just die/black out on you?

Back
Top Bottom