Teen aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I was planning! :) Put something like A. Reineckii 'mini' in the patch to the right, leave the sand open and maybe a brighter green/'sunset-ish' midground plant in the backleft corner. Don't know what the top of the ''mountain'' should have though, it'll kind of be the centerpiece.

I'm a college student in NY so I'm super poor when it comes to buying stuff I want. This is my Fluval Chi that I recently set up (been doing the drystart method for my Dwarf Baby Tears) Need some help deciding on what to put in the blank spaces, any recommendations? No animals in the tank yet, but it'll most likely be shrimp only (planning on getting Blue Pearl Shrimp :D).
10806191_10205568811999123_2387585056929972963_n.jpg
10857938_10205568811719116_4318938657289765499_n.jpg

Are you in NYC? I would suggest some moss too if you're getting shrimp.

Yup, NYC! And I bought some fissidens the other day and glued it to ledges on the cliff (where the light shines on the rock instead of shadows) facing the front. Will update if needed

I'm a college student in NY so I'm super poor when it comes to buying stuff I want. This is my Fluval Chi that I recently set up (been doing the drystart method for my Dwarf Baby Tears) Need some help deciding on what to put in the blank spaces, any recommendations? No animals in the tank yet, but it'll most likely be shrimp only (planning on getting Blue Pearl Shrimp :D).
10806191_10205568811999123_2387585056929972963_n.jpg
10857938_10205568811719116_4318938657289765499_n.jpg

Blyxa japonica maybe... Feel it would work better with the hardscape and scale of tank.

Right! I've been looking for finer-leaved plants as well as a black backdrop to make the tank look bigger than it actually is

Yeah I think it could suit it very well. The way AR grows with its leaves hanging out like an umbrella it may shade your carpet. You would have to do a fair bit of trimming

Now that you mention it, the leaves of AR mini are kinda big...Not sure what else to replace it with though as AR mini was one of the only that fit the criteria of compact red plant. Also, any ideas on a plant for the top of the mountain?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418544176.712964.jpg
If you dose iron you'll get the red pop otherwise the lime green both would suit the "base of the mountain". On top at the peak I'm not sure. Maybe a bleeding heart tree from game of thrones ;)

<adult in the room> I would go with the Downoi to stay in the perspective of the current layout <leaving now>

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

<adult in the room> I would go with the Downoi to stay in the perspective of the current layout <leaving now>

Haha get outa here

Yup, NYC! And I bought some fissidens the other day and glued it to ledges on the cliff (where the light shines on the rock instead of shadows) facing the front. Will update if needed

Have you been to Pacific Aquarium and Plant? It's located on Delancey and Eldridge streets. It can be a little pricey but they have a huge selection of plants. They also sell shrimp (all kinds, I saw a chocolate shrimp once, bumblebees, etc.).

Fauna is another store on the upper west side on 87th street between Broadway and West End avenues. They sell lots of plants too, for a better price, since a lot of them come from trimmings from their 300-gal planted tank. I know they sell RCS, but I don't think I've ever seen any other types of shrimp.

Just some ideas if you didn't know where to get plants or shrimp (I know shipping can be expensive too) and they're cool stores even to go and just look since they have such a wide variation of stock. Fauna has a huge coral tank too, it's quite amazing.

I have been to Pacific, that was where I usually went before I found Monster Aquarium in Flushing. Everything there was really nice, (although a bit overpriced), but it was wayy out of my way to get there. Never been to Fauna before, might check it out myself. Not too worried about finding places for shrimp at the moment.

I was planning on getting Downoi too, but I want to leave the sand untouched. Might not be able to see it, but the substrate at the top of the mountain is divided by a thin wall of rock, so maybe I'll put the Downoi on the left side and leave the bigger patch for something else?

What do you think you're doing? I'm calling the cops!

Fishobsessed7

What do you think you're doing? I'm calling the cops!

Fishobsessed7

Look...back in the day we used to tell kids to go to their room. Nowadays it's the opposite.

Joker - Downoi in that spot you mentioned would work. Blyxa in the open area? Shots from other angles might help. Do you have a separate thread for this tank? I'm setting off the geezer alarms.

Back
Top Bottom