Tell me about Golden Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tried googling Golden Rams but didn't find much (beyond some football team) Any information you can give me about these guys would be appreciated.

Moooooose

they'e a lot like german/rams in that they need super clean, stable water. They're supposedly morphs of the blue version. I've never had mine breed. IME, they are way more sensitive. They don't live nearly as long as my others. If you get some, make sure they're from a reputable dealer/lfs

There once were three bears who left their porridge on the table and went for a walk in the woods. Along came a Golden Ram....WAIT--Goldie Locks came along--I was confused!!

Moose-try googling the scientific name (which I can't spell) and you should have better luck.
Also, you are best to get them from a local dealer since most of those fish are bred in Singapore where the water is perfect for them. Here in Calgary, the water parameters may be too much for them.

I could start a panda / Golden ram tank!!!!!!

If anyone knows the scientific name that would be cool.

Time to move to Singapore. I am pretty sure that is where I got my first set of panda's from (the ones over a year ago)

The scientific name is microgeophagus ramirezi. In Europe it is more commonly spelled mikrogeophagus. They are beautiful fish.

I have read that the "Golden" strain is more sensitive due to some inbreeding required to get the pure golden color.

I have one in my community tank. They are a albino version of the blue ram. They are great fish, very peaceful. Eats all types of foods.

If you are thinking about adding them to the 58gal listed in your sig, you should be fine. If you have hard, alkaline water it is not ideal for them, but if they were raised locally for you and are kept at the LFS in water similar to your own, then they are already adapted.

If i did get them they would be in the 58gal. I only asked about them because I saw them 3 times and got excited about them but passed on them because I know nothing about them and didn't want to get them with out knowing what I was buying. I am just a deer in the headlights about them right now...

You are going about it exactly the way I like to do it - if something keeps catching my eye, I go home and research it first (boy I was absolutely drooling over the baby red tailed cat, very glad I checked it out first! 8O ).

I think you should get them - they are a favorite with many. There is a pair of Bolivians at my LFS right now that I have been wanting in a bad way, and I think I am going to go for it if they are still there today!

The Golden Ram have similar requirement as Std ram. Try to get your tank as stable as possible n also get the ram from good lfs.

Moose, u r moving to S'pore? I am from M'sia n u can get a Ram over here as low as USD$ .30 each.

HTH

Vega I would love to move to S'pore or Malaysia. I was just joking right now.. hehe.. .30 cents each!!! How much are you panda cories over there!!

My birthday is coming up I might just put a pair of Golden rams on my wish list.. haha.

i can get USD.90 each.
:D :D :D :D :D

I would go to the fish farm to buy fish. i also notice the price varied with the stock quality.

I guess they must get first class seat's in the airplane when they come overseas.. :)

Back
Top Bottom