Tell me about Golden Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Menagerie if you end up near Pisces have a peek at the Golden Rams when I saw them they looked pretty attractive.. hehe... They still have badis badis there unless they are a new batch.

I am going to pick up a bakers dozen of rams tonight (joke ~ strange mood day)

Thanks for the link jaysono... They need pH of 5.0-6.0 ours is so high locally... even with driftwood added to the tank..

Check and see how they keep them at the LFS. Just about every one of my LFS keep their fish all in a chain with a central water changing system, so when they tell me they keep this tank or that tank at a different pH I am skeptical. They might be using R/O water for the whole shop and keeping everything at 7.

Thanks TankGirl sorry if I sound pessimistically over cautious... :)

I obviously wouldn't be asking all these questions if I wasn't interested in these guys...

If I am not careful I will end up with MTS really bad.. :)

Don't apologize for wanting some info before taking the plunge - that is exactly what this place is about! I am going round and round about stocking my recently cycled tank and it is so helpful to get recommendations from others.

Nothin' cuter than brichardi fry, LOL - they are my weakness, personally, and have definitely contributed to my MTS!

I read some more on bricardi and they aren't really "the friendly community fish" like stated in that other article eh?

No, Menagerie can attest to that!

They are not super aggressive in terms of how many cichlids can be, but they are definitely spunky. When I was setting up my group of 2 pairs I put 5 babies in the tank and wound up with 2 pairs, and the leftover fish was pestered mercilessly. They are very fast and would come out of nowhere to attack. He was pinned up in the corner 24/7, so I removed him.

ya I def'n'ately do not need another tank so it would be the golden rams or something else..

Oh, I didn't mean brichardi instead of rams in a community tank. I meant you need a tank of brichardi fry!! :lol:

A few months ago, I added two brichardi to my community tank with rams and the brichardi were big bullies. Little did I know they were going to start breeding for me :roll:

Have you decided on the golden rams??

I want the rams. I just have to go and look to make the final decision.. :) Maybe if I am slow enought they won't be any left... :oops: :oops:

Well, if you are slow and they ARE there, then it was just meant to be!

I saw some lovely ones today, Germans, that are locally bred, so they might fare better for me than the imports I usually see. Really a fabulous fish that everyone should keep at one time or another (brichardi, too... :wink: )

The rams are waiting for you. I may not have noticed them, but they called out, "Tell Moose we're still here! If he can't save all of us, please save some of us!!" Then they tried to get me to take them home, but I had already put 5 fish on my take home list for the day.
I was speaking to one of the guys there (and asked him to join AA) and he said the pH of their tanks is 7.8-8.
Go get the rams!!

OK Menagerie and Tank Girl how many do I get? What do I look for? A pair? I try to make it there Saturday morning! Wish me luck.. Do you remember how many there were? How much they were or anything like that? :)

Lots left--$6.99 each; 3 for $19.99 (I think)--same price as the Badis. They were listed under their scientific name, not Golden Rams (at least I didn't see it). Get six, your 58 gal needs more fish and pairs can form from that! Okay, I tend to buy in the groups of three, although today it saved me a big fat loonie :roll: (but I bought 3 fish plus two other ones).
If you don't get six, then get at least three--better chance to get a male and female, because I can't tell the difference!

Is it a good idea to buy three and wait a week or so and then get the second set of 3? Also should I be adding something that is cave like for them to hide in? Or anything like that?

Thanks for checking them out for me Menagerie!!

Back
Top Bottom