temp is getting to hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dorian965

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 55 gallon tank that i just added a rena xp3 and aquac remora skimmer on to, but since i have the temp has increased to about 82 degrees. i was keeping it around 78. the house is a cumfortable 76 and im pretty sure the added heat is from the skimmer pump. it uses the maxi jet 1200. i noticed when i used it to mix up some fresh water that the water was quite warm. i was wondering if anyone else had problems with this pump and also a good replacment pump for this model skimmer. thanks, dorian :?

is 81 degrees to high for a community tank? fish,shrimp,crabs button polyps, and mushrooms. my sg is also at 1.024. thanks

81 is not too high. I have been told 78-80 is the best temp but I can't maintain a temp that low. I run 80-83 and I know quite a few people do this as well. I really would not think a Maxijet would cause a temp problem but maybe. I have 8 pumps in my system ...

just a thought have you checked you heater? i had one go start to going out and i had the same problem took me a few days unti i found the cuplrate and it was the heater the contorl for some reason went out of wack.
about the skimmer i am assuming its a hang on?? maybe try putting a fan on it to try and cool it off before it transfers the heat to your water?
or i have a rio on my cpr skimmer i didnt notice any change. or if its new can you take it back and tell them its not working right and creating to much heat ?
just some suggestions and i would say so long as you stay under 82 would be fine after that i have had my coral start to close after it reached 8 84 with the heater issue
hope that help

82 is ok. I ran my tank at 82/83 for nearly a year. I really don't think it's your MJ1200. I have 3 running in my tank as well as a Mag 7 and my tank stays around 79 with it 76 in the house. (Recently changed to Mag 7 from another pump so that's why it's not 82 anymore.)

i mix water in a 5 gallon bucket and i ran the pump in it for about 4 hours today and the water temp got up to 80.i wouldnt blame the pump either but i dont see any other solution. i noticed that my heater light shuts on and off pretty fast so i took it out. it still ran about 81 during the day. thanks for the suggestions. im going to take out the maxi jet and try another pump i have to see what happens.
i saw a remora sale that ran a mag 3 on it instead of the rio or maxi jet. would i have any problems running a larger pump on this skimmer?

I have a mag7 & a mag 12 in my sump and it really kills the temp on the tank. The key is consistancy. If you're temp runs 83 set your heater to 81 so that you're not swinging 76 to 83 during the day. Optimal is 79-81, IMO.

chillin

For years i've been struggeling with temp....with halogen bulbs and all my pumps, the tank temp was getting too hot in the summer and fluctuating like crazy. After losing one too many corals, I finally said enough is enough and bought a chiller. Best thing I've done in 30 years in the hobby. My temp stays at 79....always. My pets are thriving like never before.

I know chillers are expensive, but when I think back at all the stuff I've probably lost due to temp,.....well, I've been penny wise pound foolish.

If you can afford it....go for it. You won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom