Ten gallon stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacos377

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had this tank up and running for something like 8 months but about 2 weeks ago I converted it to a planted tank. I have the three fish already. 2 variatus platy and 1 unknown small cheap algea eater. Any ideas for more fish?!!

You could do a couple more small fish platys danios neon tetras but with the tank only have 10 gallons of water volume your pretty limited on stock

Ya a school of neon tetras would be nice with maybe a center piece fish. Be careful that the algae eater isn't a Chinese algae eater because they can get big and aggressive

You are very limited in your stocking choices with a 10g. You could possibly add 6 Harliquen rasbora's and 1 Dwarf gourami and you'd be fully stocked or alittle overstocked. The problem is platies have a higher bio-load which isn't good in a small tank.

It's more of will my other fish hurt my betta. Bettas are pretty peaceful except with their own kind and maybe a dwarf gourami. But other fish may nip at the betta's tail so it kinda all depends on what else you want

Alot depends on the individual betta. Some bettas are very mellow and could care less about other fish while some bettas won't tolerate other fish. The one fish bettas will generally always tolerate are cory cats. Since the cory's are bottom dwellers and not brightly colored the bettas just tend to ignore them. Bettas and dwarf gourami's are a deadly mix. Betta's are more prone to become aggressive with other brightly colored fish and fish with long flowing fins. Plus Dwarf gouramis and bettas occupy the same tank space staying alot towards the surface which makes matters even worse. Then on the other hand certain fish play heck with nippying at a bettas long fins.

We have 2 6g Fluval Edge tanks with a Betta and cories in each one and to be honest while bettas are pretty fish they are pretty boring! You will have a much more active tank getting a dwarf gourami and a small school of rasboras or tetras.

Back
Top Bottom