test result help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Any one (or more) of the reasons stated above could cause it. Basically all you can do is ride it out, keep the water changes going and test daily. :)

So do I just do small water changes daily? Because I know doing huge water changes daily will cause it to start the cycle over again

Water changes will not throw your tank back into a cycle. High nitrites indicates your already in a cycle/mini-cycle. The water changes will be necessary to keep your creatures healthy & alive so do not be afraid of them. Its the best thing you can do right now.

jwh0818 said:
So do I just do small water changes daily? Because I know doing huge water changes daily will cause it to start the cycle over again

No the exact opposite. Large water changes won't harm the cycle. The bacteria lives on the surfaces (mostly filter) of the tank not the water. You can changes as much water as you want (or need) to. If you get a reading of ammonia or nitrite over 0.25ppm do a 50% PWC to bring it down. Test again in an hour and if it's still over 0.25ppm do another.
Large water changes protect your fish but don't hinder the cycle. I've done many fish in cycles this way without harming a fish. :)

false, water changes will not cause your cycle to start over again. The bacteria are growing on the surfaces, in the filter, gravel, etc. The stock that you have will continue to produce waist to feed the beneficial bacteria.

Okay well se the problem with this is. The water temp of the water I use is 50 degrees farenheit so I can exactly do a water change that big. Any tips on this?

jwh0818 said:
Okay well se the problem with this is. The water temp of the water I use is 50 degrees farenheit so I can exactly do a water change that big. Any tips on this?

Have you got a way of hooking a hose up to the kitchen/bathroom tap? Or a large tub to heat water in? It's tricky in a larger tank. I cart buckets of warm water for my small tanks but hook a hose to the kitchen tap to do my 70g.

jwh0818 said:
Nope I have no way to do that at all

Mmm, will have to think about a way. SW people use plastic garbage bins to mix their water so that's an option. I'm guessing your not going to want to cart buckets for a tank that large! You could look into getting a python water changer....

They do make a variety of adapters for kitchen sinks to hook up hoses & hoses come in every possible length. At an extreme, you could replace a faucet somewhere accessible to your tank. Just a thought!

I have a.pump that pumps it out the.window and.I use the water hose and put new water in, but I do small changes so the temp isn't affected to much

Well one reason why you could do a large water change and still be testing 5.0 nitrite is because the nitrite test only goes up to 5.0, so in reality it is probably higher.

I agree to get a faucet adapter, they are simple and cheap and will allow you to put heated water in the tank. There has to be a faucet somewhere in the house that will allow an adapter on it.

I would also maintain a small amount of salt in the water while you are having nitrite readings to reduce toxicity.

jetajockey said:
Well one reason why you could do a large water change and still be testing 5.0 nitrite is because the nitrite test only goes up to 5.0, so in reality it is probably higher.

I agree to get a faucet adapter, they are simple and cheap and will allow you to put heated water in the tank. There has to be a faucet somewhere in the house that will allow an adapter on it.

I would also maintain a small amount of salt in the water while you are having nitrite readings to reduce toxicity.

Thanks jeta, what kind of salt? And could this spike be what's causing my Oscar to have ragged and kind of torn fins

Well it looks like your going to have to spend some money and sort out how your going to water changes. You've got some high waste producing fish there so large water changes are going to be a regular thing. For now your going to have to do the best you can with smaller water changes when ever you have a spare few minutes. Like changing 20%, let it heat up, change another 20%, then let it heat up, etc. Very time consuming but necessary for your fish.

Thanks jeta, what kind of salt? And could this spike be what's causing my Oscar to have ragged and kind of torn fins

Kosher salt or natural sea salt, or aquarium salt. I try to avoid iodized salt, but I don't know what negative effects it has.

It doesn't take much, I usually just dose a few dissolved tablespoons in larger tanks. The shredded fins could be from aggression or possibly the toxin spikes, since we know there is a toxin issue I'd deal with that first and foremost.

Back
Top Bottom