Tetra Safestart Fish-in Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitallinh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a fish-in cycle with Tetra Safestart (12 danios and a Pearl Gourami in a 29 gallon, one danio died the first night) around 5 days ago and doing tests everyday, I never experienced a nitrite spike.

I tested multiple times everyday and the No2 never went above .03mg/l (or yellow on the Tetra test kit)

The ammonia hovered around .25 mg/l throughout the week and today it was 0.

Aren't I supposed to experience a Nitrite/ammonia spike?

I have a few small plants in the aquarium that I added about 2-3 days in, could this be the reason?

This is my very first tank and I am a little worried, it all seemed a bit too easy.

Thanks in advance

P.S. By a few small plants I mean - This

I am curious if the amount of plants I have could cause my tank to not cycle properly.

tetra safestart is intended to be used with a full stock of fish. I don't usually recommend it, since it makes things more difficult if for some reason it doesn't work.

Either way, looks like it's doing well. If its doing as-intended, you may never see spikes in either ammonia or nitrite. Just keep looking for nitrates and keep testing to make sure the fish are safe.

jetajockey said:
tetra safestart is intended to be used with a full stock of fish. I don't usually recommend it, since it makes things more difficult if for some reason it d
Ooohhh
I was just going by what I heard

You're not suppose to get any spikes. I also want to get some tetra safestart. Seems like its working for your tank. If it didn't work, then I would dump more of the bottle in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom