Tetra SafeStart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I just got my first fish tank (A 10 gallon) today! Anyway, I would like to know if tetra safestart instantly cycles a tank (Like in minutes). If it doesn't can I put fish food in the water as a source of ammonia to keep the beneficial bacteria alive? Thanks! :thanks:

Their is no such thing as a "instant cycle". These bacteria in a bottle products are kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it will get the cycle jump started and get the cycle finished within a couple of weeks and sometimes they won't work at all. Nothing wrong with giving it a try. If it is working you will see nitrates immediately, but likely will see ammonia and nitrites also. Monitor carefully if you add fish and I would recommend prime to detoxify the ammonia and nitrites and won't stunt the cycle.

Their is no such thing as a "instant cycle". These bacteria in a bottle products are kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it will get the cycle jump started and get the cycle finished within a couple of weeks and sometimes they won't work at all. Nothing wrong with giving it a try. If it is working you will see nitrates immediately, but likely will see ammonia and nitrites also. Monitor carefully if you add fish and I would recommend prime to detoxify the ammonia and nitrites and won't stunt the cycle.

I think I want to do a fishless cycle. How do I do that?

I added that safe start, it got my parameters in a day and a half, really good, but I would still wait a week or two to add the fish after the bacteria

I used this product last week when setting up a new 10 gallon along with taking driftwood and a moss ball out of my established tank and got an instant cycle as in 0/0/5 after 1 week tank is a little over stocked with 3 panda Cory's and 10 glow-light tetras everyone is doing well I'm sure the wood and moss from my main tank was the major factor in the quick cycle but I did get the cloudy water of a bacterial bloom about 30 min after I added the tetra stuff first time I have ever had that happen with one of the boosters and its a very good sign that it actually had live bacteria in it.

petco has a tank with presoaked driftwood in it cheap nice decoration and cycle booster all in one

I think I want to do a fishless cycle. How do I do that?

Basically what you do is get a test kit and dump bathroom cleaner into your tank every day and test the water every day until the test come out right then do a huge water change 90% give or take a little before adding any fish. What kind of fish are you wanting to keep for some fish I would go fishless but most of the time it's not needed

Basically what you do is get a test kit and dump bathroom cleaner into your tank every day and test the water every day until the test come out right then do a huge water change 90% give or take a little before adding any fish. What kind of fish are you wanting to keep for some fish I would go fishless but most of the time it's not needed

Won't putting cleaner in a tank mess up the water? I mean I know it has ammonia in it but...

Won't putting cleaner in a tank mess up the water? I mean I know it has ammonia in it but...

By bathroom cleaner I mean pure ammonia (well not pure that would kill you I think the bottled cleaners are about 10%) be sure to get one listed as either white or clear not the lavender or lemon ones. I really don't like fish less cycling have been keeping fish for 20+ years and never used it myself, I would just start by making a list of what you want to be in the tank the slowly add fish starting with the easiest fish then the hardest a few months down the line

Back
Top Bottom