The Evolution of My Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Post how those checkboards do. I've looked at them so many times but have just never made the plunge!

Well. I am very hesitant on them. They look beautiful as I can see two dominant males in there with some great color. But my Apisto is also going into this tank and he managed to stress the female Apisto out until it died...

So I've started the 20g long. Still waiting on a Fluval 105 for the filter before I make any changes around. Got a Finnex FugeRay for the light and let me tell you! I'm never going back. These bad boys are worth the money.

image-1331564789.jpg

Just a couple low light plants in there to start. I plan on keeping some Apistos in there. Depends on if I can get some females for my Gibbiceps. If I can't I may see if I can find some other species. Elizabethae are gorgeous but so expensive!

Also. I'd like to thank Brian_Nano and Corallinealgae for their input on the Finnex fixtures. I'm honestly contemplating replacing my other fixtures!

I know exactly how you feel! I regret not getting a Ray 2 for my high tech when I ordered the FugeRay for my small tank. The lights I have are plenty strong though. Just not as cool as the Finnex.

Nice to see some plants in this tank! (y)

I know exactly how you feel! I regret not getting a Ray 2 for my high tech when I ordered the FugeRay for my small tank. The lights I have are plenty strong though. Just not as cool as the Finnex.

Nice to see some plants in this tank! (y)

:) yeah buddy!

I was torn between the FugeRay and the Ray2. But I don't keep overly demanding plants. I may pony up for the Ray2 on my 29g even though it's mostly a plethora of Crypts because of the height of the tank. I'll probably test this FugeRay on there though before I make any decisions.

I love the ray 2! I am getting a fuge ray for another one of my tanks now :) Awesome tanks btw, why am I just finding this lol?

Well thanks Dan!

My fish room is going to be a free advertisement for them haha. I just order myself two 20 inch FugeRays for my two 10g. Which leads me into a list of future work on the tanks!

10g. Celestial Pearl Danios and Corydorus Habrosus. Needs a lot of work. Will have a FugeRay (20 inch). Plants need to be updated. Flourite and EcoComplete substrate. Will update more when I put the work in ;)

10g. Crystal Black Shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp. Well planted. Working on a Moss Wall with Phoenix Moss (will make a "how to" thread when I start). I will have some Shrimp specific substrate coming in that I'll have to replace some of the Flourite and EcoComplete. Will have a 20 inch FugeRay.

20g. Still waiting on results of how well the FugeRay grows my plants before I go all out. I have simple Anubias and Java Fern in there at the moment. Will have Gibbiceps or another type of Apisto in there.

29g. No changes. Looking to see if I like the FugeRay on there too ;)

5.5g. May be able to take it to work. I would really like a small Shellie tank :)

Anybody got some suggestions on plants? Also I've never kept any African Cichlids so any help is greatly appreciated :)

I would stick with swords and java fern. Stuff like that. Check out wolfsblood shellie tank. Looks great.

I'll be following along :)

Do you think you could come and do my tank over for me? =p

All this talk of Finnex/Fugeray has me thinking of a new fixture. Your fish room is looks great. Classic MTS.
Question: Do you find with the raised lights plus the glass top causes the hinge to cast a shadow on the the tank? I also have an Aqueon glass top with brown hinge and the fixture (dual t5 on a 20g L) sits right on the glass. Not too happy with the light distribution since the bulbs are so close together) so I was experimenting by suspending the fixture (like the ones on legs) and found that a shadow was present in the tank. Not terribly big (1-2" band) but was wondering if others have observed this and is it a big deal.

All this talk of Finnex/Fugeray has me thinking of a new fixture. Your fish room is looks great. Classic MTS.
Question: Do you find with the raised lights plus the glass top causes the hinge to cast a shadow on the the tank? I also have an Aqueon glass top with brown hinge and the fixture (dual t5 on a 20g L) sits right on the glass. Not too happy with the light distribution since the bulbs are so close together) so I was experimenting by suspending the fixture (like the ones on legs) and found that a shadow was present in the tank. Not terribly big (1-2" band) but was wondering if others have observed this and is it a big deal.

Thanks! Lots of changes are to come.

I personally haven't noticed it. My friend who just got a FugeRay for his 20g long swears that his glass top dims the tank. I definitely haven't noticed any shadowed area. I don't think it's a big deal. Plants are adaptable and will just grow where the light is :)

Predfan on a 22" tall tank the Ray 2 will be a better option. I find the FugeRay is ideal for low-medium light plants when the tank isn't vary tall but I'm not all that convinced that it would cut it on a tank over 16-18" tall. The Ray 2 would penetrate the water further. It would be a good upgrade.

@Fresh, you can try something that I do on all my tanks. You can cut 2" lengths from each side of the plastic strip that connects the glass lid. That would leave almost all of the middle of the tank lid free from having the light blocked by that plastic hinge. It's not easy to cut it but a box cutter on a wooden kitchen cutting board worked out well enough to get it done on my tanks. You can even start the cut with wire cutters if you have them. If my explanation doesn't make sense maybe I could post you a pic.

Anybody had Fissidens Fontanus before? I got a small piece of it through mail and I don't quite know how to use it. Same as Java Moss?

Fissidens Fontanus actually grows really fast when using liquid carbon. Mine grew and spread very slowly and when I upped my Glut it took off and began spreading like crazy.

Predfan on a 22" tall tank the Ray 2 will be a better option. I find the FugeRay is ideal for low-medium light plants when the tank isn't vary tall but I'm not all that convinced that it would cut it on a tank over 16-18" tall. The Ray 2 would penetrate the water further. It would be a good upgrade.

@Fresh, you can try something that I do on all my tanks. You can cut 2" lengths from each side of the plastic strip that connects the glass lid. That would leave almost all of the middle of the tank lid free from having the light blocked by that plastic hinge. It's not easy to cut it but a box cutter on a wooden kitchen cutting board worked out well enough to get it done on my tanks. You can even start the cut with wire cutters if you have them. If my explanation doesn't make sense maybe I could post you a pic.

I think it makes sense. Are you saying instead of a single huge that spans the width of the tank, there will be 2" hinges at each end of the lid/tank. Did I get the right? If not, then please post a pic. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom