The Green water Returns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip99

Aquarium Advice Activist
photo 1.jpg

and Here are the recent ones
IMG_0998.jpg
photo 2.jpg

If any one has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 81
I have recently noticed that my tank seems to be getting cloudier as the days move on. About 5 months ago i had the same problem (green water) but it was fixed with a black out for a period of 3 days. Im just wondering what could be the new cause this problem. Well anyways here is some more info.

Tank 55g planted 1 year old
T5HO 2x 54watt 6700k bulbs (10 months old)
Fluval C4 HOB filter
Flourite substrate
Pressurized co2 2 bps diffused through glass diffuser

I recently stopped dosing Excel due to the fact that i thought it was a Bacterial bloom, due to me damaging the bio filter. Also i recently 2 weeks ago ran out of liquid iron and Trace elements.

I feed the fish once a day and make sure that there are no left over food in the tank.
%50 water changes each week

Not sure what could be the issue, but a UV sterilizer can keep green water away. My filter on my 60g has one already installed in it, plus I run a separate one on the other end of the tank and my water is always crystal. Never had clouding issues or anything. Before I added the new filter and UV sterilizer tho, i did occasionally have some clouding. Now its all clear :)

Not sure what could be the issue, but a UV sterilizer can keep green water away. My filter on my 60g has one already installed in it, plus I run a separate one on the other end of the tank and my water is always crystal. Never had clouding issues or anything. Before I added the new filter and UV sterilizer tho, i did occasionally have some clouding. Now its all clear :)

Are there any particular UV filters that you recommend? Also do you think that another black out would solve the problem for a second time?

Are there any particular UV filters that you recommend? Also do you think that another black out would solve the problem for a second time?

I use "The Green Killing Machine" in my tank and it works awesome. There are some other brands out there but I found this one to be the most efficient for its price. I use the 9watt version. My AquaTop CF-500UV (UV obviously stands for UV sterilizer) and it just has a UV bulb in the middle of the filter media that the clean water passes through before it gets spat out back into the tank so I always have fresh clean water :) I personally wouldn't do the blackout, but if it worked for you the first time well without any issues, why not try again. I would be worried about the plants, but they should survive at least 4-5 days without light.

Nice tank by the way :)

Do you think that shrimp will be affected with the blackout?

There isn't any sunlight hitting the tank, although there I a north window beside the tank where no real sun come through

Ah ok. I have black backgrounds on all my tanks.
Maybe you do need a UV sterilizer then. Sounds like your doing all you are supposed to be doing.

Thats what i feared to hear... it sucks not knowing the true reason for the green water, in my particular setup. Well i guess ill have to result to the good old black out... :(

Alright I just started the black out, here's what it looks like

image-117772487.jpg

I put on the old hood that I had laying around and made sure that no light can get it. I disconnected the co2 and placed an air stone in the tank.

How long till I should take it off? Are there any other recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom