The power of Purigen ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rasbora

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today my API freshwater master testkit arrived. I made order directly from US to Japan because this testkit seems to be the highest rated in AA. Before that, I just used ammonia and nitrite testkit during cycling and weekly check after cycled. Last month, I bought purigen and put it into my canister.
Today is my first time testing my water for pH and nitrate.
pH seems to be around 7.5, both for water from tap and from tank. I got highest level color for low level pH and lowest level color for high level pH, so it should be around 7.5, right ?
ammonia : 0 as usual
nitrite : 0 as usual
nitrate : 0 ?

I did last pwc two weeks ago. Is is normal to get nitrate reading of 0 ? Is it because of the purigen ? i put around 300 ml of purigen in my 75g tank and it seems a little bit dark brown.

I can assure that my tank is cycled. I monitor the cycling with testkit and it already 5 months old.

Any comments ?

pH...that is correct
You should have some NitrAtes...be sure to add 10 drops of No 1....shake No 2 for 30 seconds....add 10 drops of No 2...shake for a full minute...lots of people mess up the NitrAte test.

If you have fish, you should have NitrAtes unless you are heavily planted...then it is possible for your plants to use up all the NitrAtes.

It seems like the tank is cycled, and possibly the Purigen is controlling the nitrAtes. HOWEVER, a chemical is not a substitute for weekly water changes which clean the tank and restore nutrients and buffers to the water that are vital for a healthy aquarium.

If I understand the product, o believe it also absorbs ammonia and nitrItes which is a negative IMO because it serves as a competing source for the beneficial bacteria by depriving of it of its food source.

My recommendation would be to remove the Purigen, closely watch your water parameters for the foreseeable future to make sure there are no mini-cycles (if the BB is not as strong because of the product), and do weekly pwc's to restore things to your tank and keep it healthy. No need to spend money on a product when the natural bacteria and a necessary weekly water change will do it for you without the potential for negative consequences.

HUKIT said:
Purigen does not remove nitrates, it removes organics before they can be turned into nitrates.

Oh, I read their site wrong. That said, would you agree it would effect and weaken the nitrifying bacteria by being a competing source? I assume you'd vote against it?

Purigen does not affect the nitrogen cycle since it does not absorb the source of ammonia. I tried some last year and measured the water results for 30 days, and the it did lower the nitrates on average of 5ppm per week. I don't use the product any longer, between the time of recharging process along with the amount of Prime I was using it just wasn't cost effective long term.

Last edited:
Read the instructions for the nitrate kit again. They are very specific and not doing it perfectly will give you a false 0 for nitrate.

Fishguy2727 said:
Read the instructions for the nitrate kit again. They are very specific and not doing it perfectly will give you a false 0 for nitrate.

Retest the nitrate. Result : still 0. I am sure I made the test according to the instruction, because at the same time I tested my other tank, and it gave me positive number of nitrate (40ppm).

Back
Top Bottom