The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm more familiar with saltwater angels so i was wondering about the growth rate ofthe freshwater ones?

skywhitney said:
I'm more familiar with saltwater angels so i was wondering about the growth rate ofthe freshwater ones?

They grow very quickly, unless in a small tank.

George9 said:
I'm good for those kinda comments :) how could I pass up an opportunity?

I don't know about the two angels. If I added another to the list do you think I could still do the killi? Is it true that they won't pick in eachother if introduced at the sane time? They're like silver dollar size

I think that if you added 2 juvies at the same time you would be fine. If not, you could always send the trouble maker into the garbage:D

I think you could still do the killi:)

I'm good for those kinda comments :) how could I pass up an opportunity?

I don't know about the two angels. If I added another to the list do you think I could still do the killi? Is it true that they won't pick in eachother if introduced at the sane time? They're like silver dollar size
Golden wonders can be a bit aggressive too and IMO really only belong with speedy tankmates. They will likely take bites out of your tetras.
As for the angels, having more than 1 angel is always a gamble. When they are small, they usually school around and don't pick on each other, but that can easily change when they grow up. I think if you started out with a few juvies, then you try picking that get along, but you always have the chance of them pairing up and paired angels can wreak havoc on a community tank. Sometimes, a mated pair is fine in a community, sometimes not. Its a bit hard to give absolutes when dealing with angels. They are sort of like a wild card fish and life with them can go all sorts of directions. Lol. :) You can always try 2 angels and just sell one if it doesn't work out. Most pet stores will readily take adult angels in if they have space.

absolutangel04 said:
Golden wonders can be a bit aggressive too and IMO really only belong with speedy tankmates. They will likely take bites out of your tetras.
As for the angels, having more than 1 angel is always a gamble. When they are small, they usually school around and don't pick on each other, but that can easily change when they grow up. I think if you started out with a few juvies, then you try picking that get along, but you always have the chance of them pairing up and paired angels can wreak havoc on a community tank. Sometimes, a mated pair is fine in a community, sometimes not. Its a bit hard to give absolutes when dealing with angels. They are sort of like a wild card fish and life with them can go all sorts of directions. Lol. :) You can always try 2 angels and just sell one if it doesn't work out. Most pet stores will readily take adult angels in if they have space.

Just one angel then. I dont want to screw everything up by getting more than one lol. Back to the drawing board in the other centerpiece fish too. I forgot killifish have really big mouths. Would some kind of apisto work? Or a krib?

Tank didn't finish cycling today. Maybe Tuesday. Why can't the stupid nitrites drop! It's been > 5 ppm for 5 days!

And, it seems most of my plants are beginning to die. I hope this is just the shock of being transplanted and they will grow back?

I just did a 55% water change to get the nitrites down a little. I spilled prime, and broke a test kit vial in a mad dash to finish because I have to go soon.anyway They're still above 5 ppm. Ammonia was 0 after that. I'm just gonna leave it and see what happens. The only reason I did it was because I read a thread that said if the nitrite test turned dark purple at the bottom before shaken, they're really high and you should bring them down.

George9 said:
I just did a 55% water change to get the nitrites down a little. I spilled prime, and broke a test kit vial in a mad dash to finish because I have to go soon.anyway They're still above 5 ppm. Ammonia was 0 after that. I'm just gonna leave it and see what happens. The only reason I did it was because I read a thread that said if the nitrite test turned dark purple at the bottom before shaken, they're really high and you should bring them down.

I dont know if i'd trust the test colors before its shaken... Without the tube being shaken you have a high risk of substances being in little "pockets" that can give readings that are WAY off. I'd reccomend only going off of the readings that you got once you completed a full test. But this is just my opinion :)

I dont know if i'd trust the test colors before its shaken... Without the tube being shaken you have a high risk of substances being in little "pockets" that can give readings that are WAY off. I'd reccomend only going off of the readings that you got once you completed a full test. But this is just my opinion :)

Yeah, I wouldn't trust the reading either. I am still shaking it. I just read that if the water turns dark purple even before shaken, then thats a ton of nitrites. I still shake it and take the reading from there- Its like a different purple than 5 PPmM, so I just say its higher than 5. Maybe the 50% water change will move the cycle along a little bit.

George9 said:
That is what I am doing. I just read that if the water turns dark purple even before shaken, then thats a ton of nitrites. I still shake it and take the reading from there- Its like a different purple than 5 PPmM, so I just say its higher than 5. Maybe the 50% water change will move the cycle along a little bit.

Hopefully so :) i'm sure you're anxious to start putting some fish in there!

Just one angel then. I dont want to screw everything up by getting more than one lol. Back to the drawing board in the other centerpiece fish too. I forgot killifish have really big mouths. Would some kind of apisto work? Or a krib?

Tank didn't finish cycling today. Maybe Tuesday. Why can't the stupid nitrites drop! It's been > 5 ppm for 5 days!

And, it seems most of my plants are beginning to die. I hope this is just the shock of being transplanted and they will grow back?
IMO, an apisto would be great. :) Personally, I am not a fan of kribs in communities because I have seen it go really badly for some people. Sometimes it works out fine, even with breeding kribs, but other times the kribs turn way too nasty. But apistso are so cool that I like them better anyways. They are also decently hardy, especially compared to other dwarf cichlids. :)
I need a reminder of exactly what your planned stock is though to say more than that.

Alright! Apisto it is then!(y):dance: I hope I could find them around lol.

Absolut(ha. I never realized its spelled like the vodka! lol)- here is the stock:
X1 GERMAN BLUE RAM
X1 ANGEL FISH
X1 APISTOGRAMMA
X3 PLATIES
X10 RUMMYNOSE TETRAS
X10 PEPPERED CORIES (Or Whatever I Could Find Locally)
X10 KERRI TETRAS

:thanks:

I think that sounds good. The apisto will keep low in the tank, but since you are just planning one there really shouldn't be territorial issues IMO.

Good news! Ammonia was 0 this morning-but I dosed it back to 4 ppm. Nitrites were at 5 ppm instead of above 5 ppm (YES!)

George9 said:
Good news! Ammonia was 0 this morning-but I dosed it back to 4 ppm. Nitrites were at 5 ppm instead of above 5 ppm (YES!)

I think u got it licked!

George9 said:

Awesome man! Sounds like you're good to go!

Back
Top Bottom