The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a little problem with my plants, but I think I know what's wrong. It looks like a couple of my plants are dying or melting. A few leaves are shrivled up and fall off and float around in the current. I'm pretty sure it's a crypt and I heard melting is normal and the leaves will grow back. But what if it isn't a crypt? I have root tabs in the sand

Should I do anything withthe dead leaves just hanging there?

Take the dead leaves out so they don't decay in your tank. I would definitely say that it is likely your crypt. They are probably the best known plant for melting, but as you know they will recover after a little while.

A lot of plants melt while adjusting to new tank or lights or ferts. Even my wistria went through a melting when I changed lights. It's normal. Just remove dead parts. And wait for them explode!

joejeff said:
A lot of plants melt while adjusting to new tank or lights or ferts. Even my wistria went through a melting when I changed lights. It's normal. Just remove dead parts. And wait for them explode!
adadkins1 said:
Take the dead leaves out so they don't decay in your tank. I would definitely say that it is likely your crypt. They are probably the best known plant for melting, but as you know they will recover after a little while.

Thanks guys, I was worried a little bit lol.

I think the cycle is almost done. This morning, the ammonia was 1. Dosed back to 4. Came home from school, ammonia was back to 1 in just about 10 hours. I think I'm gonna do another water. Change to get the nitri(ates) back down to a readable level. If I don't, will it screw up the cycle?

This thread is great! I'm also going to be upgrading from a 10 gal to a 60 gal in the next few weeks so its nice to be aware of some of the obstacles i might face. I'll be watching this thread :)

For the plants i have now i will dose Excel 2x a week for the nutrients and i use a liquid CO2 booster made by API every day.

skywhitney said:
This thread is great! I'm also going to be upgrading from a 10 gal to a 60 gal in the next few weeks so its nice to be aware of some of the obstacles i might face. I'll be watching this thread :)

For the plants i have now i will dose Excel 2x a week for the nutrients and i use a liquid CO2 booster made by API every day.

I'm glad you find it useful :) you can learn from all the mistakes I'm going to make lol

George9 said:
I'm glad you find it useful :) you can learn from all the mistakes I'm going to make lol

Haha dude your right on track. Put up some more tank shots BTW

Alright, I got one more question lol sorry.

The ammonia is being converted reallllly fast. This morning, it was .25 ammonia, 5 + nitrite, 160 nitrate. I dosed the ammonia back up really fast. Accidentally to 8 ppm instead of 4. Tonight, the ammonia went from 8 ppm to 2 ppm in about 9 hours. Nitrite and nitrate were same. Now for my question, tomorrow morn, when the ammonia is low, should I leave it and wait for nitrites to drop? - not sure about that though. Or continue to dose back up to 4 ppm as usual. Will the nitrites drop when I keep dozing to 4 ppm? Thanks lol

George9 said:
Alright, I got one more question lol sorry.

The ammonia is being converted reallllly fast. This morning, it was .25 ammonia, 5 + nitrite, 160 nitrate. I dosed the ammonia back up really fast. Accidentally to 8 ppm instead of 4. Tonight, the ammonia went from 8 ppm to 2 ppm in about 9 hours. Nitrite and nitrate were same. Now for my question, tomorrow morn, when the ammonia is low, should I leave it and wait for nitrites to drop? - not sure about that though. Or continue to dose back up to 4 ppm as usual. Will the nitrites drop when I keep dozing to 4 ppm? Thanks lol

I think they should eventually drop on their own, right?

Gboy66 said:
I think they should eventually drop on their own, right?

I think so. I'm just getting impatient I guess lol. I hope its done soon!!

George9 said:
I think so. I'm just getting impatient I guess lol. I hope its done soon!!

Same man. How bout you get us some pics and the stock list to pass the time? Haha

Alright...Lemme take some more pics from tonight. I'll use the nice camera this time :)

here ya go.
nei1p3.jpg

1zq4gb6.jpg

2z3o3r4.jpg

312jkts.jpg

34zzh8w.jpg

24fd05w.jpg

::Stock List::
X1 GERMAN BLUE RAM
X1 ANGEL FISH
X3-4 PLATIES
X10 RUMMYNOSE TETRAS
X10 PEPPERED CORIES
X10 KERRI TETRAS
I want to get maybe one more "centerpiece" fish in there. any ideas?

George9 said:
here ya go.

::Stock List::
X1 GERMAN BLUE RAM
X1 ANGEL FISH
X3-4 PLATIES
X10 RUMMYNOSE TETRAS
X10 PEPPERED CORIES
X10 KERRI TETRAS
I want to get maybe one more "centerpiece" fish in there. any ideas?

Oh ya man thats the stuff!! Great pics!!

Maybe a blue paradise fish??

Could i give you an aquascaping tip (even though i am by no means an "aquascaper" :))

Gboy66 said:
Oh ya man thats the stuff!! Great pics!!

Maybe a blue paradise fish??

Could i give you an aquascaping tip (even though i am by no means an "aquascaper" :))

Yes PLEASE GIVE ME A TIP lol. I know nothing about aquascaping lol. Is it about the placement of plants?

I considered the paradise fish but I couldn't find it anywhere. I was thinking some kind if gourami

George9 said:

Hahai'm sure i'll make a lot more than you do! :)

I know you're using a fluval filter so i wanted to get your feelings on how good it is and how easy the maintenance is on it?

skywhitney said:
Hahai'm sure i'll make a lot more than you do! :)

I know you're using a fluval filter so i wanted to get your feelings on how good it is and how easy the maintenance is on it?

I love it so far. No matinence yet. But it's so easy to disconnect. Just push the valve down and pull up on the lever. My only complaint is that water spurts up a little when I pull the tubes out from pressure. But no biggie. Also, mine is not exactly whisper silent. It makes a humming noise, I cab hear it when in looking at the tank, but not from across the room. It says it whisper quiet, but I guess mine isn't lol. I'm fine with it.

Make sure you put it under the tank, it's a lot easier to move around because it's HEAVY when full. Mines behind the tank because I have no room under the tank and it's hard to pull out. Also, it doesnt move the water around as much as i would like. But a powerhead fixes that right up. But overall, I love it!! Very easy, and you don't have to loo at an HOB filter hanging over the side

Make sure you lube up the rubber band around the lid so it doesn't dry out and leak. Vaseline is fine.

George9 said:
Yes PLEASE GIVE ME A TIP lol. I know nothing about aquascaping lol. Is it about the placement of plants?

I considered the paradise fish but I couldn't find it anywhere. I was thinking some kind if gourami

Haha! Well, at the moment it seems like the plants are a bit symmetrical. Try and take similar tall plants and bunch them up on one side, then slowly go in desending order in height until you reach the other. Then at the end and river rocks or whatever, with your driftwood in the middle.

Again, im no aquascaper! But this is just my opinion!

Maybe a honey gourami? Opaline?

Back
Top Bottom