The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The color change on the test kit is a temporary reaction and it changes over time. I do not know the exact chemical mechanism that makes that happen, I just know it does. I have run similar tests in rivers a bunch of times and they are all time-sensitive too.

Ahh, that makes sense. Now that I think about it, that happens with my grandmas pool tests too :D. Thanks Absolut

I just posted pics like a week ago! The tank looks the same. I'll post more pictures when I get fish, or the tank starts to look different then the last shots.

I just posted pics like a week ago! The tank looks the same. I'll post more pictures when I get fish, or the tank starts to look different then the last shots.
I just saw them, apparently i missed a couple of pages cause there were a number of posts i've never seen before. :facepalm:

I just saw them, apparently i missed a couple of pages cause there were a number of posts i've never seen before. :facepalm:

Whooops! :ROFLMAO:

This is the 24th day of the cycle and nitrites haven't dropped!! I understand this takes time, but I'm going to give it a few more days and if theres nitrites, I don't care. The fish are going in! lol jk jk. I couldn't do that. But I think I'm going to get one of the angel plus activated media foam block things iin a few days if theres no change. I at least want a fish in the tank by FEBRUARY 1 2012:D

The Angels plus filter will help. I just got one and put it in Wednesday night and I'm having wonderful results!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
The Angels plus filter will help. I just got one and put it in Wednesday night and I'm having wonderful results!

Thanks! I'm probably going to if nothing happens in a few more days.

And tomorrow I'm going to move some plants around because I don't really like the way some of them look :| I'll post pics :)

Here I go again with the nitrites.....I just read the instructions, it says to wait five minutes after you shake it. I waited 5 minutes, and its like clearish. What the heck?. Do you wait five minutes, are you even supposed to-I'm guessing you are?
I tested pH and its 6.4! It used to be at 7.6 about a week ago. I havent tested it in a while. Is this bad?

EDIT: I lied, the reading was like a greyish purpleish. Looked to me like it was closest to .50 PPM. But I think my cycle is pretty screwed up:devilish::devilish::devilish: Im just going to do 2 big pwc tomorrow. I read on other forums that people did that to get the nitrites down and it finished cycling in a few days. So we'll see lol

Here I go again with the nitrites.....I just read the instructions, it says to wait five minutes after you shake it. I waited 5 minutes, and its like clearish. What the heck?. Do you wait five minutes, are you even supposed to-I'm guessing you are?
I tested pH and its 6.4! It used to be at 7.6 about a week ago. I havent tested it in a while. Is this bad?

EDIT: I lied, the reading was like a greyish purpleish. Looked to me like it was closest to .50 PPM. But I think my cycle is pretty screwed up:devilish::devilish::devilish: Im just going to do 2 big pwc tomorrow. I read on other forums that people did that to get the nitrites down and it finished cycling in a few days. So we'll see lol
Good luck man!

Did the first water change....75%. I let the nitrite test sit for exactly five minutes. It looked to me to be exactly 5 ppm instead of clear (hooooray!) What do you think, one more water change to get that number down to about 2-3 PPM? I think I'll do a smaller one this time, maybe 50 %?
lwhlz.jpg

looks like .5 to me. I think with another 50% you should be good to go. just test in a day or two to make sure :)

I just did another 60% pwc. I tested it, It turned like a pinkish color. I waited 15 minutes after the pwc, I think I should wait longer. I'll test again in maybe an hour or two. The nitrates went from 160 PPm to 40 PPM, I'm adding more ammonia now.

Your doing good! I did the same today. One 70% pwc then an addition 50% pwc to get my nitrites down. My nitrates also dropped a lot after the pwc. I waied about 30 mins till I tested again and then dossed my ammonia back up.

Your doing good! I did the same today. One 70% pwc then an addition 50% pwc to get my nitrites down. My nitrates also dropped a lot after the pwc. I waied about 30 mins till I tested again and then dossed my ammonia back up.

Cool! What size tank are you cycling?

Edit: I have the results ot the nitrite teest. Its really pink, almost like not even on the chart, but at least I am getting a reading. It looks even pinker in person. What would you say this is?
w0j6ko.jpg

Edit: More good news!- pH is back up to 7.8-7.8 where it used to be in the beginning.

That's great! My tank is a 20 gallon :) I'd say your nitrites is between .25ppm and .50ppm. Your results aren't funny. My nitrites seem to be much brighter than the card shows too so I'm just guesstimating with mine as well.

caitlynnanne9189 said:
That's great! My tank is a 20 gallon :) I'd say your nitrites is between .25ppm and .50ppm. Your results aren't funny. My nitrites seem to be much brighter than the card shows too so I'm just guesstimating with mine as well.

Really? To me they look a lot higher! but maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and see than nice baby blue, how nice :). So I guess I'm on the right track and it should be any day now!!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Yep your doing good! I'm waiting to wake up to yellows and baby blues too lol. I want my fish!! Lol

Come on yellows and baby blues!! We need some fish! Lol but I swear I'm going to scream when I see it.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom