The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No baby blue yet, but there was no ammonia! yay!. Nitrates are back up to 160 PPM. Not quite sure what nitrites are, they look to be at about 2-5 PPm to me. Its still that off purple pinky color, but not as much.
4ggm53.jpg

Just noticed some of my plants are dying/and or melting. Its happening on parts of my foxtail and on the bottom leaves of the rotala indica (I think it is.) On the rotala indica, the bottom leaves are transparent and are just flapping around, and the top is green and showing new growth. Could it be not getting enough light? What do I do with the dead parts? Could I just cut off the brown parts on the foxtail? All other plants are doing awesone, especially the amazon sword.
Foxtail:
24xhq8o.jpg

Rotala indica (I think it is)
21cat0p.jpg

I don't know anything about plants but I know that with your ammonia your supposed to dose back up to 4ppm if there is still any nitrites and nitrates left. You also got to water change again. The nitrites mean that the ammonia (which is in fish poop) is getting broken down and used so it won't harm the fish.

caitlynnanne9189 said:
I don't know anything about plants but I know that with your ammonia your supposed to dose back up to 4ppm if there is still any nitrites and nitrates left. You also got to water change again. The nitrites mean that the ammonia (which is in fish poop) is getting broken down and used so it won't harm the fish.

I dosed the ammonia back up this morning, ugh lol but why do I have to do another pwc? The nitrites are readable and I'm going to do a big one once the tank cycles to get rid of all the nitrates.

George9 said:
Just noticed some of my plants are dying/and or melting. Its happening on parts of my foxtail and on the bottom leaves of the rotala indica (I think it is.) On the rotala indica, the bottom leaves are transparent and are just flapping around, and the top is green and showing new growth. Could it be not getting enough light? What do I do with the dead parts? Could I just cut off the brown parts on the foxtail? All other plants are doing awesone, especially the amazon sword.
Foxtail:

Rotala indica (I think it is)

Have you moved them recently? I know some plants don't like to get moved and will melt if the do. You might want to just trim off the dead parts for now and see if new growth takes place?

Are you using any ferts? CO2?

skywhitney said:
Have you moved them recently? I know some plants don't like to get moved and will melt if the do. You might want to just trim off the dead parts for now and see if new growth takes place?

Are you using any ferts? CO2?

I am using flourish tabs, no co2. I didnt move them either, except when I planted them two weeks ago. I just cut the dead parts off the foxtail and replanted the green tops. The other foxtail is doing fine, It leans over the other one so I dint think it's getting enough light.

George9 said:
I am using flourish tabs, no co2. I didnt move them either, except when I planted them two weeks ago. I just cut the dead parts off the foxtail and replanted the green tops. The other foxtail is doing fine, It leans over the other one so I dint think it's getting enough light.

That could definitely be part of the problem!

skywhitney said:
That could definitely be part of the problem!

Yeah. I replanted the little green tips into the sand so they'll grow back nice and strong. I made sure they have light. I thought I'd be having problems with the swords. But so far they've grown TONS of new leaves. It's amazing

You may not have to do a pwc if your nitrites are readable. Mine are t and I have to bring them down! Yours is hard to tell but it looks high to me.

George9 said:
Yeah. I replanted the little green tips into the sand so they'll grow back nice and strong. I made sure they have light. I thought I'd be having problems with the swords. But so far they've grown TONS of new leaves. It's amazing

I've never had any of the sword plants but i'm think i might get one for my new build. Do they seem pretty hardy?

skywhitney said:
I've never had any of the sword plants but i'm think i might get one for my new build. Do they seem pretty hardy?

Yeah, they do seem very hardy and easy to grow. Amazon swords are great. Just throw in some root tabs for them and you'll see some growth.

George9 said:
Yeah, they do seem very hardy and easy to grow. Amazon swords are great. Just throw in some root tabs for them and you'll see some growth.

Awesome, i can definitely do that!

Ammonia was 0 this morning-got that back up to about 4 PPM. Nitrites were still at about 2 PPM to me. Its hard to tell. What would you say it is?
wrgsol.jpg

George9 said:
Ammonia was 0 this morning-got that back up to about 4 PPM. Nitrites were still at about 2 PPM to me. Its hard to tell. What would you say it is?

I say about 2

I know this is the 60 gallon build, but since I'm moving the fish from the 10 over to the 60, I have a spare tank! I was originally going to use it for sick fish and such, but now I kinda want to set it up. I'm going to put it in my bedroom, any ideas of what to put in it? I was thinking shrimp, but anyone have any other ideas?

I know this is the 60 gallon build, but since I'm moving the fish from the 10 over to the 60, I have a spare tank! I was originally going to use it for sick fish and such, but now I kinda want to set it up. I'm going to put it in my bedroom, any ideas of what to put in it? I was thinking shrimp, but anyone have any other ideas?
A FW Puffer!!

skywhitney said:
A FW Puffer!!

I considered that, but what about their diet? Don't they need like snails and live food? I don't think I'd be able to feed them snails everyday.

Back
Top Bottom