The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adadkins1 said:
Wow, tank is looking killer. Cool thing finding the Kuhli Loach, they do the darndest things.

Yeah they are weird. I can't believe he could stay alive for days squished behind a sponge pad. Lol poor little guy :D

George9 said:
Yeah they are weird. I can't believe he could stay alive for days squished behind a sponge pad. Lol poor little guy :D

Haha poor dude. I thought you had a cover over the filter intake?

skywhitney said:
Haha poor dude. I thought you had a cover over the filter intake?

I did for a few days. But it would get so clogged and reduce the flow soo much. I got annoyed and took it off lol. I wish I hadn't now. :D

George9 said:
I did for a few days. But it would get so clogged and reduce the flow soo much. I got annoyed and took it off lol. I wish I hadn't now. :D

Is there anything else you could use as a guard instead?

skywhitney said:
Is there anything else you could use as a guard instead?

I dunno. I'll have to look around for a solution.

I feel so bad for the little guy. I dint even know how he got BEHIND the sponge.

George9 said:
I dunno. I'll have to look around for a solution.

I feel so bad for the little guy. I dint even know how he got BEHIND the sponge.

From what i've heard it's not uncommon for kuhlis to end up in places with no explanation as to how they got there.

skywhitney said:
From what i've heard it's not uncommon for kuhlis to end up in places with no explanation as to how they got there.

Yeah, they do the darndest things.

I got another question. I'm considering upgrading my lighting to a 4 bulb 216 watt t5 HO. I think this is what you have. When you weren't doing co2, was algae a problem?

I found a dirt cheap one on aquatraders (I know I know) with a built in timer and moonlights for $109. I think I gonna buy that one and sell my coralife dual fixture. Lots of people hate aquatraders because they're cheap, but I'm gonna try it anyway because I've heard good things.

George9 said:
Yeah, they do the darndest things.

I got another question. I'm considering upgrading my lighting to a 4 bulb 216 watt t5 HO. I think this is what you have. When you weren't doing co2, was algae a problem?

I found a dirt cheap one on aquatraders (I know I know) with a built in timer and moonlights for $109. I think I gonna buy that one and sell my coralife dual fixture. Lots of people hate aquatraders because they're cheap, but I'm gonna try it anyway because I've heard good things.

How long is your tank? My tank is only 36" long so the max wattage i can get out of my fixture is 156. Regardless, i did see some algea issues but i still do to an extent.

skywhitney said:
How long is your tank? My tank is only 36" long so the max wattage i can get out of my fixture is 156. Regardless, i did see some algea issues but i still do to an extent.

Mine Is 48" so I could get up to 216. If I went with a new one, it'll probably be the 162 3 bulb. I just took the legs off my current lights and put it right on the glass, so maybe more light will get to the bottom. I'm thinking about another diy co2 for the other side because I just don't think I'm seeing the results I should be seeing.

George9 said:
Mine Is 48" so I could get up to 216. If I went with a new one, it'll probably be the 162 3 bulb. I just took the legs off my current lights and put it right on the glass, so maybe more light will get to the bottom. I'm thinking about another diy co2 for the other side because I just don't think I'm seeing the results I should be seeing.

When i was doing the DIY setup i was told i would need about 6-8 two liter bottles to hit the proper ppm... Another bottle for the other side would not hurt at all.

skywhitney said:
When i was doing the DIY setup i was told i would need about 6-8 two liter bottles to hit the proper ppm... Another bottle for the other side would not hurt at all.

Hmm okay. So with another 1.89 l will put me at 5 liters, which would be about 2 and a half two liter bottles. Lol still far, but has to help. Do you know of any other diffusion method without having to buy a diffuser?

I'm gonna make a list of everything I'm doing for these da*n plants to get some more growth.
(*) macro and micro dry ferts
(*) Root tabs
(*) diy co2
(*) 108 watt t5 HO
(*)excel at half dose

Haha that's a lot. I'm starting to see some more growth though, so I should stop complaining lol. But my purple cabomba has straightened up and it's super tall! I dont like it like that becase it looks so weird.

George9 said:
Hmm okay. So with another 1.89 l will put me at 5 liters, which would be about 2 and a half two liter bottles. Lol still far, but has to help. Do you know of any other diffusion method without having to buy a diffuser?

Wooden chopstick end. Just do a google search for "DIY CO2 chopstick" and it pulls up some examples.

skywhitney said:
Wooden chopstick end. Just do a google search for "DIY CO2 chopstick" and it pulls up some examples.

Darnit! I just went to stir crazy, should have taken the chopsticks! I'll look on google for more.

I think it's also time to start at least thinking about pressurized co2, because we both know this is where it's goin. Where did you buy your setup? Green leaf aquariums? I need the tank, regulator, bubble counter, and what else? Thanks

George9 said:
Darnit! I just went to stir crazy, should have taken the chopsticks! I'll look on google for more.

I think it's also time to start at least thinking about pressurized co2, because we both know this is where it's goin. Where did you buy your setup? Green leaf aquariums? I need the tank, regulator, bubble counter, and what else? Thanks

If you go through GLA you'll get awesome equipment but you're going to pay out of a few body orfices for it. I got mine on Amazon. Milwaukaee regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, and PH controller. The tank was just one i found on there, then i just built the reactor and the rest of the plumbing.

skywhitney said:
If you go through GLA you'll get awesome equipment but you're going to pay out of a few body orfices for it. I got mine on Amazon. Milwaukaee regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, and PH controller. The tank was just one i found on there, then i just built the reactor and the rest of the plumbing.

Is a ph controller necessary? And don't call me stupid, but what is a reactor?

George9 said:
Is a ph controller necessary? And don't call me stupid, but what is a reactor?

I'm not going to call you stupid! I asked the same questions!

The PH controler is not necessary but i would recommend it. Since CO2 lowers your PH this controler will turn off the Solenoid once a preset PH has been set which allows for greater accuracy and peace of mind that you won't gas your fish.

A reactor is a device which allows a greater contact time between the CO2 and the water which leads to greater absorbtion of the CO2 into the water. Basically it allows for a greater reaction which keeps you from off-gassing to much.

Honestly most of the CO2 questions you might have will probably be answered in my Amazon Sword Help! thread. There is SOOO much info in that thread its mind boggling.

skywhitney said:
Honestly most of the CO2 questions you might have will probably be answered in my Amazon Sword Help! thread. There is SOOO much info in that thread its mind boggling.

Haha yeah it does answer a lot! When I looked at the picture of under your stand, what is the white PVC pipe thing to the right of the filter?

George9 said:
Also, how long would a 5 lb tank last you at say, 1-2 bps?

For your tank to reach 30ppm you're probably looking at 4-6bpm but a tank at either bpm rate should last quite a while. Probably at least 6 months.

My tank isn't showing any loss of pressure yet if that helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom