The start of the Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We have the new tank in place and filling it up as we speak.

Dimensions: 29.5 inches long x 30 inches tall x 11.5 inches wide.

Aqadvisor says its 46.3 gallons.

We will run a big sponge filter that's been getting ready in the community tank the Angels are in now, I'm filling it with %75 water from the 180g and %25 clean water to simulate a water change. I will update once I have the blushing couple in their new "love shack"

Tomorrow we have to grab a slate for them as the ones we have are too small for such a tall tank.

What do you think? Is the tank the right size?

Sent from my iPhone

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411525492.593465.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411525492.593465.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 119
For just a pair ??? That is an awesome size for just a pair !!! Wish more folks could follow your mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Off topic: is the cat a Bengal??!! ?? the marking

And I think that is a great size for the pair :) pics once it is all set up

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice catch. I was so caught up in the size of the tank (and without my cheater glasses) I didn't even catch the cat. Does look like one and has some gorgeous markings !!

For just a pair ??? That is an awesome size for just a pair !!! Wish more folks could follow your mindset.

Do most people do smaller? Just because I'm breeding them, they shouldn't have to be miserable, so I wanted the biggest with in reason. I feel bad enough that I won't have any plants in there for them. How bored they must get.

Nice catch. I was so caught up in the size of the tank (and without my cheater glasses) I didn't even catch the cat. Does look like one and has some gorgeous markings !!

You were close! He is a savannah. It's an African serval/ Siamese hybrid. Also known as a pain in my behind. He is like a very clumsy ninja who beats up the dogs.His markings are wrong for his breed so they breeder gave him to us for free (if my boyfriend neutered him) we got to chose between him and two bangels. He was the only one purring--easy decision. He is pretty excited we got him an other "TV".

We haven't moved them yet because we are paranoid about it not being cycled so we are going to give it an other week and test the water. We did feed the tank a bit today. The Angels are getting a bit out of hand though the two males chase each other away while the females hang out in a secluded spot. For the sake of the other three Angels I need to get at least one pair out.

Sent from my iPhone

That's awesome!! I love all those exotic cats. I know Savannah's can be a handful- I've heard they act more wild than not. Gorgeous kitty though :)

Emily, try to follow the rationale in this one.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319794

I saw this when it was first posted. I'm no expert so I try to stay out of it. Also, I think there are lots of kids on here causing trouble. Our original plan was to use our 29 tall but at the moment it's full of little red shrimp and it turns out my boyfriend is quite attached to those little boogers.

We also have a 50g we picked up for the second pair but it doesn't have a cover. And with my little tiger running around that's a no go until we get the cover. I have seven Angels in the 180 and two pairs. We are opting to move the older more mature pair first and since those four pay no attention to the other three younger Angels I hope I can restore some peace until we get a cover for the other tank. The filter is already running in the 180 to get ready.

Sent from my iPhone

You were close! He is a savannah. It's an African serval/ Siamese hybrid. Also known as a pain in my behind. He is like a very clumsy ninja who beats up the dogs.His markings are wrong for his breed so they breeder gave him to us for free (if my boyfriend neutered him) we got to chose between him and two bangels. He was the only one purring--easy decision. He is pretty excited we got him an other "TV".

We haven't moved them yet because we are paranoid about it not being cycled so we are going to give it an other week and test the water. We did feed the tank a bit today. The Angels are getting a bit out of hand though the two males chase each other away while the females hang out in a secluded spot. For the sake of the other three Angels I need to get at least one pair out.

Sent from my iPhone

Lmao !!! I just read this to my girl and we both cracked up about your "clumsy ninja that beats up the dogs" !!! We've got two and one is cat friendly and the other, well, not so much. He's fine, she's not and we wish she was because I could have "my" buddy from my ex. He's totally dog friendly and gets along excellent with my male. Sounds like it was a great decision for you guys. The only issue with my cat was he loved to sit on top of the tank and chew on the airline going into the gang valve. One of many reasons he got the name Havoc.

That's a pretty unique tank! Plant me screams low tech with a forest of jungle Val and big ozelot sword off to the side, maybe a long winding piece of dw with moss creeping so the fry will have some natural sustainability (couldnt spell the right word, new restaurant over served me).
As for the kitty.. very cool! I saw a show on them once, the owners set up a caged in area like a jungle, those guys get pretty big right? Beautiful animals!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a pretty unique tank! Plant me screams low tech with a forest of jungle Val and big ozelot sword off to the side, maybe a long winding piece of dw with moss creeping so the fry will have some natural sustainability (couldnt spell the right word, new restaurant over served me).
As for the kitty.. very cool! I saw a show on them once, the owners set up a caged in area like a jungle, those guys get pretty big right? Beautiful animals!

Waiiiiiiiit you're telling me it doesn't have to be empty? It can have plants and drift wood! And substrate? Oh I hope john does t see this. It's going to cost me a fortune I can see his buildmyled lights already.

Tillikum is a f4 that's fourth generation, so I doubt he will get too big and he would never survive in one of those enclosures. He is SO needy. If he isn't pestering me for attention he is sticking his head inside his girl friend (our Dutch shepherd)'s ear. He has to be touching some one at all times.

Sent from my iPhone

Waiiiiiiiit you're telling me it doesn't have to be empty? It can have plants and drift wood! And substrate? Oh I hope john does t see this. It's going to cost me a fortune I can see his buildmyled lights already.

Tillikum is a f4 that's fourth generation, so I doubt he will get too big and he would never survive in one of those enclosures. He is SO needy. If he isn't pestering me for attention he is sticking his head inside his girl friend (our Dutch shepherd)'s ear. He has to be touching some one at all times.

Sent from my iPhone

Empty? !?! Ahh hellz nawww... make it pretty! You can keep the lighting cheap though;)
Oh cool, so all the looks and stays small? Perfect... the ones I've seen in the show were essentially wild, they'd have full run of the house but also have the outdoor area. The way my little monster acts at 3 am? Couldn't imagine if she was 30 pounds, just her little body leaping off the top of the door onto my face in the middle of the night is bad enough..

Empty? !?! Ahh hellz nawww... make it pretty! You can keep the lighting cheap though;)
Oh cool, so all the looks and stays small? Perfect... the ones I've seen in the show were essentially wild, they'd have full run of the house but also have the outdoor area. The way my little monster acts at 3 am? Couldn't imagine if she was 30 pounds, just her little body leaping off the top of the door onto my face in the middle of the night is bad enough..

We might have to do so slowly. I just don't want to spend the money right now. Maybe after the holidays. It's such a tall tank I'm thinking the lighting will have to be high end so it can penetrate.

He is 18 pounds now and still just a kitten, so maybe he will get to 25. And that's why he has his own room. He gets stuck in the trash can at night when he tries to steal scraps. He fishes in the 180. If we move in bed he will attack us. He hates being locked up, but it's only at bed time.

They're actually trying to ban wild hybrid cars in California, because of cats in that video. People actually get savannah because they're very much like dogs in behavior. Just smarter and they can jump higher and get into more trouble. Socially they love to be with people, you can walk them on leash, they will fetch. Super awesome cat. You need one brook! Get it for your girlfriend for Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone

No more cats!!!!!

The problem youll have with planting a breeding tank is keeping it clean and doing daily wc when you have babies. It wont be the healthiest for your plants and the substrate will trap babies when the fall off the leave as free swimmers from wigglers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think Mr Brookster missed the point of your exercise. ;) If the goal of this tank is to breed the fish, you and your fish will be best served leaving it plain with maybe just a single bushy plant ( real or fake) to give the pair some sense of protection from the cat should it get too close to the tank. PRIVACY is key for breeding. If the cat makes the fish feel threatened, this can cause a problem.

I think Mr Brookster missed the point of your exercise. ;) If the goal of this tank is to breed the fish, you and your fish will be best served leaving it plain with maybe just a single bushy plant ( real or fake) to give the pair some sense of protection from the cat should it get too close to the tank. PRIVACY is key for breeding. If the cat makes the fish feel threatened, this can cause a problem.

Uh ohh, sorry em, I'm no good with breeding angels.. Andy is the man here:)
I get carried away sometimes with the whole planted tank thing..

Last edited:
Andy, can I cover the glass so they can't see the cat?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes you can but you run the risk of startling the fish whenever you approach the tank if they can't see things coming at them. Better to keep the cat out of the room IMO or just put a bushy plant that is big enough to hide the fish but won't spawn on in there. (y)

Back
Top Bottom