there have been lots of ancients threads about this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
but none to date.

here are the old threads that ive used and its really helped my with my sand descision for my 29 gallon.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=25542&highlight=tahitian+moon+sand

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=22174

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=22188&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

those are all saying that the tropical play sand is truely aragnite.

to test this i went out and bought some. 50 lbs for 7.00$. i tested the vinegar thing and it bubbled. and now i put all 50 lbs in my 29 gallon and im thinking about putting another 50.

on the other threads it says that it says not recommended for aquarium use.

there are theorys that since its the same thing that the lf's sell for like 20$ for like 30 lbs they made a deal with that company to put that on there so the lfs wouldnt lose money.

sry have to go. ill finish this later

grimlock3000 said:
isn't it NOT supposed to bubble?

If it's aragonite, it will bubble because it's reacting with the acid in the vinegar. For a SW or African Cichlid tank, aragonite sand is preferred because it dissolves at a relatively high pH and helps maintain the alkaline pH levels that you want in these type tanks. However, for most FW tanks, where the desired pH will run from 6.5-7.5 depending on the fish you are keeping, aragonite sand is not desirable because it will tend to drive the pH up. For these tanks, you want either coated aquarium gravel or inert sand/gravel. Silica sand is a good example of what you'd use in this type tank. Any rocks that will be added should be tested with vinegar as some of them, such as limestone, may tend to raise pH. Any rock/gravel/sand that is volcanic in origin should typically be avoided due to the likelihood that it will contain contaminants that will eventually dissolve into the water column.

krap, 50 lbs is more than enough for a 29 gal. The brichardi will be happy in there. Plus, with sand, you open the door for anaerobic bacteria to grow. Remember to aerate the sand weekly (or so) with your fingers. I put mts in my sand tanks and they do most of the aerating for me.

with play sand you get a lot of phosphate withch can harbor parasites and harm the fish.though live plants love the phosphate in the tank as they use it as fertalizer

I used both, Home Depot play sand in my 30 gallon and lfs aragonite (sold as coral sand) in my 10 gallon. The only differences I have notice thusfar is that the lfs sand was far easier to clean and the sand has a more uniform texture. I will be moving my tanks in the next week or so, and will be using another bag of lfs sand for a few reasons. For one, I live in an apartment, and trying to clean the Home Depot sand before was a pita. For two, I only need a little bit--I wound up throwing away half the bag of Home Depot sand (again because I live in an apartment and storage is limited. As far as effects to fish's health, I have noticed no ill effects. SW people have used the Home Depot sand for years and have yet (on this site anyway) to not recommend it.

Based on this, for a small tank (less than or equal to 30 gallons) with a shallow sand bed (1"-2"), I would recommend lfs sand. Just realize that you are paying for the "cleaner" sand and uniform texture. For anything larger than 30 gallons, which also assumes you have a house (or at least a bigger apartment), I would recommend the play sand.

And if you use play sand, rinse, rinse, rinse, til the water runs clear. If you poke the substrate with your finger once it is underwater, it should not cloud up.

Back
Top Bottom