Think I made a bad call!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joschac2

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK here we go again....... I was at a friend of a friends house and he has had enough of fish tanks... dont know his story but he had 1 puffer fish left and it was either someone took it or it was on its way to the toilet... Now that I have been in this hobby for about 8 months i have become very attached to the fish i have as well as rescuing fish.. this was not the first fish I have rescued but its the first fish i rescued that I did not have a chance to research... I got home and and put him in the tank (in a bag) to get the him used to the temp. then I slowly added my tanks water to his water to help him adjust to the PH difference... I finally get him in the tank and then start doing some research... I spent about 30 min researching and realized Im possibly in trouble. My tank is fully planted and a community tank. after about an hour he was aggressively eating my plants then aggressively started to stalk my fish.. He then started to attack my Angels and that was the end of the line. My Angels are my Favorite fish and Im very attached to them..

so I took the Puffer and put him into my 10G hospital tank..

So... What do I do with this puffer? according to what I read this type of puffer (figure 8) needs a min of 15 gallon tank (30 recommended) and supposedly can live in freshwater(some say brackish) I have no idea about brackish tanks but am willing to learn if its not gonna cost to much., as i am also setting up my new 60G. I do have a 20G Long sitting around that I could use.

Any thoughts, Comments or advice is more than welcome... Need some education on this one!!

What species do you have?

Pretty much any of them do best in a species tank. The most common ones seen are the green spotted which need brackish water to thrive.

I would set up the 20 long with a sandy bottom and make it low end brackish. Add the salt gradually to let the puffer acclimate. I think they need a SG of around 1.008, but don't just take my word for it. I keep green spotted puffers which need more salt. Be sure to use marine salt, not aquarium salt and get a hydrometer (or even better, a refractometer) to measure salinity. Be sure to get one that measures all the way down to 1.000. Raise it by maybe 0.002 each week until it is where you need it to be. And pm Terrence lol.

Back
Top Bottom