Thinking about starting a saltwater 30g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i want to make a definite list of everything i will need to have somewhat of a price in my mind.
so
RO/di 199.99
ATO idk if i should get Tunze osmoloator 3155 or nano 3152. i dont really trust the flotation device on the nano. Thats why im leaning towards 3155 cause it has the eye but its 100 more. Comments? 209.99 (3155 price)
refractometer- 39.99
Powerheads, should i get one evolution 600 GPH or 2 Nano Koralia 425s? & im getting a nano koralia 240 either way for mixing.? Ill put price for 600 GPH + 240 - 64.98 OR 2 425 nanos + 240 - 95.97 COmments again?

Reef octopus protein skimmer BH-100 189.99
rock & sand (lfs)

Am i forgetting anything? comments on powerheads and ATO system

I would skip the auto top off. Is 200$ worth 5 minutes of your time and minimal effort?

2 425s would be preferable.

If not the only thing I see missing is salt, heater, TDS meter and lights.

What happens if i want to go away for awhile like a week? Do I lower the salinity to its possiblity like 1.2 ? And ten as a week passes by it'll go up? Idk how much evaporates per week. salt Imma prob get instant ocean bucket & ill prob get another heater from Lfs. I guess it really is not worth $ 200 when I could just check with refractometer and add RO/do water

Also the im getting the brs 5 stage plus RO/DI & it has an inline TDS meter, do I need to get another?

What happens if i want to go away for awhile like a week? Do I lower the salinity to its possiblity like 1.2 ? And ten as a week passes by it'll go up? Idk how much evaporates per week. salt Imma prob get instant ocean bucket & ill prob get another heater from Lfs. I guess it really is not worth $ 200 when I could just check with refractometer and add RO/do water

That won't work, if you take a trip you either need a tank sitter or the ato

which ATO do you recommend then BigRedsReefs10? do you have an ATO? should i trust the floaty thingy on the nano? or should i start up the tank & then when we take big trips, get the ATO? i normally take the weekly trips end of June/ Beginning july. i wont start up the tank till late july/ beginning august after we take weekly trip. however, we do take trips over the weekend. We will leave friday afternoon and come back sunday afternoon. is an ATO necessary for only a 1 day span? would it fluctuate that much? i dont really want to spend the 200 when starting up, i way over budget with it lol.

Ok so I've decided that im going to wait until next year to get the ATO next year if we take the week trip. This will be sufficient BECuse I can save up money for it.
Also, I was reading many forums and I have seen where it said that to grow corraline algae you has to put some live rock in to "seed" it. Would the coraline algae grow with out live rock? How long would it take with live rock and without the rock for the algae to grow?

Ok so I've decided that im going to wait until next year to get the ATO next year if we take the week trip. This will be sufficient BECuse I can save up money for it.
Also, I was reading many forums and I have seen where it said that to grow corraline algae you has to put some live rock in to "seed" it. Would the coraline algae grow with out live rock? How long would it take with live rock and without the rock for the algae to grow?

You need a source for coraline. It just doesn't appear out of nowhere. So yes adding a small piece of coraline covered rock or snails with coraline on them. Etc... Coraline grows based on light and stability. It took about 4-5 months to show up in my tank

Should I just like place the other dry rocks around it and eventually it will spread? & does it need to be cured?

It depends on where it's coming from but if it is a tiny piece then no. It won't spike anything. You can put it wherever. Just be aware that coraline doesn't grow overnight. It takes a while.

The 5 lbs of live rock and like 20-25 lbs of dry rock and put it in before my cycle, it won't cause the params to spike when I have livestock in the tank. Right?

Right as long as the tank is cycled it will be fine. You can add whatever and as much as you want while cycling

If I put in the 5 lbs. of live rock before i start my cycle and then i do my cycle with the raw shrimp, would the ammonia spike cause the corraline algae to die? & before I put it in the tank should i rinse off the life rock

Did you get your skimmer yet? I am also starting my first SW and got bak-pak2r price was good and all reviews I've seen are positive, last thing on my list is lighting then LR sand and start

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom