Thinking of remodeling my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently set up my 55 gallon planted aquarium. I am very pleased with the outcome so far. However, I recently discovered a video on YouTube showing a do it yourself sandfall. The way I am 45 years old I am still a bit of a kid at heart and I thought that was just the coolest thing I've ever seen. What I'm wondering is how difficult is it to remodel and established tank. Thus far I have yet to completely stock my tank with fish. So I am thinking that now is a better time than later. I guess what I'm asking is what do I need to do in order to accomplish this, keeping in mind that if I did create a sandfall it will take quite a few water changes over the course of a couple weeks to get the water quality under control.
If I did do it I would want to use Styrofoam and have it go the length of the tank in the back and try to hide most if not all of my Quitman to behind it. Besides the Sandfall looking really cool, making all of the equipment disappear is and amazing prospect.

Any thoughts?

This is what I currently have so far:

Image1491442661.949040.jpg

What about if you can build it and run it through the paces in a different tank first. Like a second hand 29G or a new Petco sale tank?
Maybe check into sand blasting sand which is generally cleaner than many sands.

What about if you can build it and run it through the paces in a different tank first. Like a second hand 29G or a new Petco sale tank?
Maybe check into sand blasting sand which is generally cleaner than many sands.

The sand isn't the biggest issue from what I have read. The thing that throws the water out of wack is the cement that is used over the styrofoam. Apparently it takes many water changes before it settles in.
As for the second tank idea...
2 reasons that isn't an option.
1. Im planning on a single piece that goes from one side to the other, so I would need another 55 gallon tank with the same dimension.
2. I just can't afford another tank.

Im currently setting up a second tank right now.
Its a 20 gallon. Making it a shrimp tank. Going to try the sandfall idea out on it. A test run of sorts. Want to see how difficult it is to accomplish and how satisfied I am with the result.
If it works out, I will no doubt redo the 55.
If push comes to shove, I can always take the fish back to my local fish store and buy them back when I get things set. Don't like that idea, but I don't want to put the fishes health at risk.

Back
Top Bottom