Thinking of returning fish due to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think what it all comes down to is that seeding material will help tremendously, but if you're not comfortable with it or don't have trust in your lfs, it's not mandatory and you can get by without it...albeit a bit slower.

Thanks everyone. So I guess adding mature media is out, as I don't know anyone personally with a tank and I wouldn't add media from a place I didn't know.

I think I do want to try keeping my fish. So far I've kept ammonia at 0.25 or lower. Doing daily water changes, sometimes twice per day if the reading seems like it's hitting the 0.25 mark exactly.

So if I keep doing this and keep the ammonia at <0.25, will the tank still eventually cycle, or does the ammonia need to go at a higher level to cycle the tank? That's where my concern comes in. If I have to get the ammonia to +0.25 to cycle, then I'd want to return the fish. If I can keep going and keep it at 0.25 or lower and it will eventually cycle then I'll keep trying that. It's been a month today and no nitrates/nitrites at all (getting sick of seeing the blue and yellow colors lol). It seems that the ammonia wants to come up (usually the color is a yellowish/green not fully reaching the 0.25, but the past few tests seems like it matches the 0.25 each time even after a 40% change), so if I 'm reading the tests correctly does that mean my tank is finally trying to cycle?

Sorry, it's a bit confusing to me still....

I think one issue is that 4 glofish in 12g doesn't really produce a lot of waste to get the bacteria groing at a good rate. What's your feeding schedule like? Maybe bump it up a bit so that the left over food can help feed the bacteria and do so after a daily PWC so it has a chance to desolve and boost the bacteria. Another suggestion is when testing before a PWC, ammo at >.25ppm and no2 at 0pmm isn't that bad and wait a few hours to see where it goes till it jumps a bit and then do a Pwc. The last thing I'd suggest is get some Anacharis, let it float or sink (plant weights are OK) and that will help soak up some no3 and feed the bacteria.

For an example, I cycled 90% of my 29g in 8 days with plants and they do help, but I'd say 1 bunch would be enough for a 12g.

Just re reading your reply so I can get the directions clear for the next couple of days while i"m home, I can test more. I did a test this morning and the ammonia was at or just below 0.25. I still did a small 2.5 gal change (habit I guess, when I see even a bit of green I panic :( ). I did feed them after the pwc though. So I'll test again in a few hours. I'll try to keep it at around 0.25 the next day or two and test every few hours and do a pwc if it goes higher than that. I'll also feed them twice a day today and tomorrow. Since I go back to work on Sunday I'd be leery of keeping the amo at 0.25 before I left for the day, so I'll probably go back to doing the pwc in the morning before work even if it's at 0.25 in case it spikes during the day and I'm not here to monitor it.

I'll also look into that plant, I'll see if PetSmart has one. Are they easy to take care of? The tank does have a light. I may not even be lighting the tank enough, I keep lights off all day when I'm at work (although the room they are in gets good natural light) and when I come home I'll keep the lights on for 4-6 hours. I think I might invest in a timer so that I can keep the lights on some during the day. I'm seeing some green algae on one of my decorations so I'm also concerned about too much algae.

And I'm guessing I'd have to watch the plant to make sure it doesn't decompose? Is it noticeable? Also does it need fertilizer or anything like that?

Haven't gotten the plant yet; I read that it can soak up one of the 'trates, but I don't have nitrates/nitrites yet so will the plant prevent me from getting any?

I did feed twice yesterday. I kept checking ammonia throughout the day and it seemed to hold at 0.25

At 2 AM this morning I got up to check again (couldn't sleep, was worried they were being burned) and it was still 0.25. I'm not sure whether I should have resisted the urge to change the water but couldn't help it, did a 4 gal change

This morning at 9 AM ammonia still at 0.25. Should I do a larger change to get it down some or should I let it stay at 0.25?? Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record. I want the tank to cycle already but at the same time I don't want to hurt the fish, so the 0.25 reading scares me and I'm not sure whether I should leave it and keep checking for spikes or change the water enough to get it down some....?

Sorry.

libraygirl said:
Haven't gotten the plant yet; I read that it can soak up one of the 'trates, but I don't have nitrates/nitrites yet so will the plant prevent me from getting any?

I did feed twice yesterday. I kept checking ammonia throughout the day and it seemed to hold at 0.25

At 2 AM this morning I got up to check again (couldn't sleep, was worried they were being burned) and it was still 0.25. I'm not sure whether I should have resisted the urge to change the water but couldn't help it, did a 4 gal change

This morning at 9 AM ammonia still at 0.25. Should I do a larger change to get it down some or should I let it stay at 0.25?? Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record. I want the tank to cycle already but at the same time I don't want to hurt the fish, so the 0.25 reading scares me and I'm not sure whether I should leave it and keep checking for spikes or change the water enough to get it down some....?

Sorry.

Keeping the ammo at 0-.25ppm (0ppm being best) and no2 (nitrIte) at 0ppm is the goal you'll want to strive for IMO. Sounds like you're taking good care of your fishies and that a good thing :). Plants like Anacharis will soak up no3 (nitrAte) and that's a good thing too, but if you keep your lights off most of the time it might be best to hold off and don't worry too much about algae at this point.

Re-read the cycling with fish article to reassure yourself that everything you're doing is correct and keep up the good work :D.

Keeping the ammo at 0-.25ppm (0ppm being best) and no2 (nitrIte) at 0ppm is the goal you'll want to strive for IMO. Sounds like you're taking good care of your fishies and that a good thing :). Plants like Anacharis will soak up no3 (nitrAte) and that's a good thing too, but if you keep your lights off most of the time it might be best to hold off and don't worry too much about algae at this point.

Re-read the cycling with fish article to reassure yourself that everything you're doing is correct and keep up the good work :D.

thank you! SO I'll try not to worry too much if it's at 0.25 ammo as long as the fishes seem ok and I'll do a daily water change anyway. I am getting green algae on one of my decorations, I rinsed it but seems to be coming back faster when I keep my lights on.

Thank you! I really hope I start seeing some 'trates soon, it's been a month and I'm getting impatient lol Thanks again!

thank you! SO I'll try not to worry too much if it's at 0.25 ammo as long as the fishes seem ok and I'll do a daily water change anyway. I am getting green algae on one of my decorations, I rinsed it but seems to be coming back faster when I keep my lights on.

Thank you! I really hope I start seeing some 'trates soon, it's been a month and I'm getting impatient lol Thanks again!

The algae means you have nutrients, which is a good thing IMO and if you look at it from the fishes perspective, algae is part of their natural setting :). Cycling with fish is tuff and remember the old adage, patience is a virtue (y).

Back
Top Bottom