Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Already got a pic on here. That's the one on the rock sideways. I was thinking of glueing but I'm not quite sure if it's causing that much trouble yet. I want mobility in the tank but not broken glass. I need a happy medium..

Update

Coralline is bursting out everywhere. It's turning my base rock a pretty light purple. But then Theres the diatoms... Im starting to hate them lol. It looks like hair algae sometimes when bubbles get caught in it but I'm sure it isnt. I checked my params and its 0 ammo 0 trite 3 trate. Should I be doing something about the nitrates? I'm sure I'll be getting that Rodi unit for Christmas because it's the only thing I asked for. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some Arnold palmers too hehehe. I've been using distilled water until then though.

needmorecowbell said:
Update

Coralline is bursting out everywhere. It's turning my base rock a pretty light purple. But then Theres the diatoms... Im starting to hate them lol. It looks like hair algae sometimes when bubbles get caught in it but I'm sure it isnt. I checked my params and its 0 ammo 0 trite 3 trate. Should I be doing something about the nitrates? I'm sure I'll be getting that Rodi unit for Christmas because it's the only thing I asked for. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some Arnold palmers too hehehe. I've been using distilled water until then though.

That sucks, but it will go away... How do you make distilled water..?

I've been buying it from Walmart. You make it buy having a cold copper tube over boiling water and having the condensation drip into a holding container. I don't know the specifics though.

needmorecowbell said:
I've been buying it from Walmart. You make it buy having a cold copper tube over boiling water and having the condensation drip into a holding container. I don't know the specifics though.

Oh, i thought you made it lol

Update

I tested my trates and it's still 2ish. I have a ton of diatoms though. My Coralline is getting crusty now so that's good. Any advice w/ the diatoms? Could it just be a phase?

needmorecowbell said:
Update

I tested my trates and it's still 2ish. I have a ton of diatoms though. My Coralline is getting crusty now so that's good. Any advice w/ the diatoms? Could it just be a phase?

Just a phase. If your using the ro/do, it will go away :)

needmorecowbell said:
That's what I was thinking but I already had s burst of diatoms and it went away.

Hmm...it usually only happens once from my understanding! Well thats okay, itll be gone soon. When shall we get another fish sir?

I'm probably going to upgrade all of my filtering first and then get a lot of corals and another fish after Christmas. I will be getting a rodi unit for Christmas hopefully so my water will be pristine. Im not adding anything else until then most likely. I want my water to be pristine first and I think there might still be some tds in the distilled water. Do snails put off a lot of waste or Is that all my fish? It's like everywhere lol.

needmorecowbell said:
I'm probably going to upgrade all of my filtering first and then get a lot of corals and another fish after Christmas. I will be getting a rodi unit for Christmas hopefully so my water will be pristine. Im not adding anything else until then most likely. I want my water to be pristine first and I think there might still be some tds in the distilled water. Do snails put off a lot of waste or Is that all my fish? It's like everywhere lol.

Your going to upgrade your filter?? I thought you just bought one! Ya, good call on the rodi unit first, that will be so convenient. And i bet thats your clown lol.

Question, when you buy your water at like walmart, how long do you mix it? Do you buy it saturday, and mix it in a bucket with salt until sunday? How many gallons do you change per week? Thanks, i need to learn this for my tank :)

I mix it overnight and keep it heated. I do a 10% weekly but I'm not always on time with it. As for the filter, I'm going to add stuff to it and maybe buy an aquaclear filter to mod. I'll buy chemipure and other things maybe. I'll also get some more food.

needmorecowbell said:
I mix it overnight and keep it heated. I do a 10% weekly but I'm not always on time with it. As for the filter, I'm going to add stuff to it and maybe buy an aquaclear filter to mod. I'll buy chemipure and other things maybe. I'll also get some more food.

Oh i forgot about the heater, would a 10 gallon heater suffice?

I just got my RO/DI set up yesterday. Has some leaks, but I got enough water made up for my water change today before my new corals arrive. Getting pretty excited about them.

But the 5 gallon bucket for your RO/DI to work into and a heater to get it to temp is great. So much easier than having jugs of water or buying saltwater premixed.

Update

I bought a bunch of stuff today! I bought some filter floss, carbon in a carton, omega 1 fish flakes, and a new magnet algae scraper. I put the filter floss in with carbon because I didn't think the live rock rubble and skimmer were sufficient. I put it on top of the rock near the output. Will this become a potential problem? I bought marine omega 1 fish flakes, that's the good stuff right? The algae cleaner magnet is a much better cleaner and is doing a great job. The diatoms are Finally coming off the rock! It's still on the sand and glass though.. I guess it's going away though so that's good. That's about all, any suggestions? :D

Back
Top Bottom