Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to build a Kalkwasser dripper, any tips? I'm buying a calcium test kit at the lfs and maybe a goby :D

Do you really need to dose kalk? How fast are your calcium and alkalinity levels dropping after a water change? And how often are you doing water changes?
I have a 125g FULL of corals and have just found the need to dose. I've tried kalk myself and it didnt maintain my levels. More water changes can also work if your levels are dropping that much. I've been doing more frequent and larger changes until I get the dosing down pat.
:)

I havent been using the reef crystals, just the regular salt mix. I do once a week pwc but I miss one sometimes. Now that I have sps I feel the need to dose and I'm planning to get a clam at some point.

Your first option is to switch to the reef crystals that will help your parameters. Just having SPS in the tank doesn't mean you HAVE to dose yet. What are your readings of alkalinity, calcium and magnesium? That will truly tell if you want to dose or not. :)

I will be buying a test kit on amazon today. I have 0 trates though. I won't be dosing until I need to but it's like 7$ at the most to make.

Yep, it is cheap but you dont want to add stuff until you need it. Kalk can raise your ph really high so you dont want to add unless you have to. When your calcium and alkalinity are dropping too low in between water changes then you should dose. But if youre not losing calcium or alkalinity between water changes then you are fine.

No issue with changing salts - I went from IO to reef crystals with no issues and great results.

Alright thanks, I guess I'll have to do that then. Have any good DIY projects that would benefit my tank and be pretty cheap? I'm in the mood to do something constructive lol.

Well, in a few hours I'll be buying a yellow watchmen goby or a firefish and the money left over will be used to buy a calc and alk test kit If their cheap enough. If not, it will be soon.

For now lol. The shrimp was 40$ and I still need to find a calc test. I'm gonna work on my stock list too, i want to change it ;)

So I was thinking more and more about my stock list and now I want to change it. I have 1 clown 1 cardinal and a fire shrimp. I might have to rehome my clown because he won't stop biting me. I can't put my hand in the tank without it being a problem. What else should I get? I dont want the normal stock list because it will be my only saltwater tank. I am willing to spend extra money on a fish, just it wont be bought as soon. I would like to keep a low bioload stock list, so I'm not maxing out to my limit.

Back
Top Bottom