This is probably a dumb question but

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am finding a bunch of snails in my tank, and I have just been dropping them down the drain. You don't think they could stay alive in a septic tank do you?

well it is possble. but the levels of nitrates and ammonia would be highly toxic. but then again snails live everywhere. that could of adapted if they had the chance. every time you flush put a lil burst of oxygen in there. im sure theres some sort of hybrid algae down there that doesnt need light. lol.

Meredith - What type of snails are these? I'm not a promoter of snails being used as feed but I think that's a little better than flushing.

As krap says, the high levels of NH3 and NO2 are present, along with other deadly toxins (ie: carbon monoxide). They may live for a while but I don't think they could live long.

I'd smoosh them rather than putting them down alive, or put them in a paper towel in the trash, where they won't have a chance to survive and cause problems.

You can smoosh them in the tank and your fish will learn to come over and eat them afterwards. :wink:

Smooshy snails!!! Yummy!! I'm coming over to TankGirl's house and eat some smosshy snails. Don't let the fish eat all of them!! :lol:

well they sell on aquabid for like 5$ for 50 or so. maybe 10.

lol tank are you saying its possible that their alive down there?

Teenage mutant ninja snails! I can't squish them. The crunching sound brings back some bad memories. Would it be more humane to toss them into boiling water, or throw them outside or something?

pee in the sink a few times. pee also unclogs sinks as well. THis is a very important lesson for couples who are new to household problems

I have been running a household for many years and have never had the need to pee in a sink - 8O

:lol: :lol:

Im sure when you pee in the sink the snails wont wanna live there anymore and will probably die in a matter of seconds. Drink ginger ale for extra fast action

Back
Top Bottom