Thoughts on keeping endangered fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It may be up to a year before I check into this heavily, but after I clear it with the Alabama Dept. of Conservation and Alabama Dept. of Game & Fish, what are your thoughts on keeping endangered fish like the Rush Darter, Vermilion Darter, and Watercress Darter? I am thinking about later breeding a few and selling the offspring into the aquarium hobby dirt cheap as a way to conserve these fish. (However, I WILL NOT give up any wild caught fish. I intend to start a "culture" from only 5 or 6 specimins.) I also think they look darn cool.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

If you tried to save the species by breeding them and releasing them (of course consult that department first to make sure you don't mess the ecosystem up) that would be very cool! I don't know what to think about the whole selling them thing because if they fall into the wrong hands they may be released in large quantities and mess up your local rivers...but as long as you do it on a very small scale I don't see any harm in it! :)

That is a big part of what I want to do. With ths political and social climate of Bessemer, AL, and their home being about the size of a couple city blocks, I would bet the days of these fish are numbered. Their home also drains into the creek anp river that comes near my property. It will start as a small scale hobby with only a few specimins to start with. I also hope to (in case their home no longer exists in 20 years) be able to "hide" the species within the fish keeping hobby, where they can be reintroduced if there comes a day when not one is in the wild.

That is a big part of what I want to do. With ths political and social climate of Bessemer, AL, and their home being about the size of a couple city blocks, I would bet the days of these fish are numbered. Their home also drains into the creek anp river that comes near my property. It will start as a small scale hobby with only a few specimins to start with. I also hope to (in case their home no longer exists in 20 years) be able to "hide" the species within the fish keeping hobby, where they can be reintroduced if there comes a day when not one is in the wild.

Thats so awesome you should definately do it! :dance:

I've been thinking about doing the same thing over here in Indy, I am working at a local nature center, and am trying to toss the idea around. At the nature center we have a bunch if different animals like turtles in aquariums, because we rehabilitate them, but that would be awesome if I could convince them to get a darter tank set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be careful, as there may be laws that prevent what you are trying to do. However, there are many species of fish in the hobby that are extinct in the wild. Hobbyists and zoos are keeping the species alive. You may want to look into the CARES program, which seeks to preserve species at risk, through a network of hobbyists. You might be surprised at some of the fish on the CARES list, such as White Cloud Mountain minnows, which are still often sold as feeders. This is a link to the site. The Aquarium Hobby CARES Preservation Program - Welcome! Worth looking into for all hobbyists.

It would be cool but I doubt they would even consider it I called once to see if I could take in some baby white tail deer that mother got hit by a car and they told me I had to let nature take its course and they wouldn't even come get them. They said if I touched them I would get a fine or jail time

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be careful, as there may be laws that prevent what you are trying to do. However, there are many species of fish in the hobby that are extinct in the wild. Hobbyists and zoos are keeping the species alive. You may want to look into the CARES program, which seeks to preserve species at risk, through a network of hobbyists. You might be surprised at some of the fish on the CARES list, such as White Cloud Mountain minnows, which are still often sold as feeders. This is a link to the site. The Aquarium Hobby CARES Preservation Program - Welcome! Worth looking into for all hobbyists.
That's exactly why I'm wanting to check with ALGF before I begin. Bessemer got in trouble for maintaining the property by washing away thousands of darters by clearing a beaver dam.

I know, sometimes (especially with higher order animals such as deer) the animal learns more by being made to fend for themselves than to be raised and then released, and so stands a better chance for survival if you don't "help" it. Not every time though.

If you're gonna breed them to try to save them that makes you a top-notch person. I'll be praying that you succeed and that the state lets you do it! It would be infuriating if they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom